Scene two

Friar John enters.

Friar John - Holy Franciscan Friar! Brother, hey!

Friar Lawrence enters.

Friar Lawrence - That sounds like the voice of Friar John. Welcome back from Mantua. What does Romeo say? Or, if he wrote down his thoughts, give me his letter.

Friar John - I went to find another poor friar from our order to accompany me. He was here in this city visiting the sick. When I found him, the town health officials suspected that we were both in a house that had been hit with the plague. They quarantined the house, sealed up the doors, and refused to let us out. I couldn't go to Mantua because I was stuck there.

Friar Lawrence - Then who took my letter to Romeo?

Friar John - I couldn't send it. Here it is. (he gives Friar Lawrence a letter) I couldn't get a messenger to bring it to you either because they were scared of spreading the infection.

Friar Lawrence - Unhappy fortune! By my brotherhood, the letter was not just a nice greeting. It was full of very important information. It's very dangerous that it hasn't been sent. Friar John, go and get me an iron crowbar. Bring it straight back to my cell.

Friar John - Brother, I'll go and bring it to you.

Friar John exits.

Friar Lawrence - Now I must go to the tomb alone. Within three hours Ciara will wake up, She'll be very angry with me that Romeo doesn't know what happened, But I'll write again to Mantua, and I'll keep her in my cell until Romeo comes. That poor living corpse. She's shut inside a dead man's tomb!

Friar Lawrence exits.