Scene five

Peter and other Servingmen come forward with napkins.

Peter - Where's Potpan? Why isn't he helping us clear the table? He should be moving and scraping plates!

First Servingman - When only one or two men have all the good manners,

and even they are dirty, things are bad.

Peter - Take away the stools, the sideboards, and the plates. You, good friend, save me a piece of marzipan, and if you love me, have the porter let in Susan Grindstone and Nell. Antony and Potpan!

Second Servingman - Yes, boy, I'm ready.

Peter - They're looking for you in the great chamber.

First Servingman - We can't be in two places at once, both here and there! Cheers, boys. Be quick for a while and let the one who lives the longest take everything.

Peter and the servingmen exit. Capulet enters with his cousin, Tybalt, Lady Capulet, Ciara and other members of the house. They meet Romeo, Benvolio, Mercutio, and other guests and Maskers.

Lord Capulet - Welcome, gentlemen. The ladies who don't have corns on their toes will dance with you. Ha, my ladies, which of you will refuse to dance now? Whichever of you acts shy, I'll swear she has corns. Does that hit close to home? Welcome, gentlemen. There was a time when I could wear a mask over my eyes and charm a lady by whispering a story in her ear. That time is gone, gone, gone. You are welcome gentlemen. Come on, musicians, play music. (music plays and they dance, Romeo stands apart) Make room in the hall. Make room in the hall. Shake a leg, girls. (to Servingmen) More light, you rascals. Flip over the tables and get them out of the way. And put the fire out-it's get- ting too hot in here .. (to his cousin) Ah, my man, this unexpected fun feels good. No, sit down, sit down, my good Capulet cousin. You and I are too old to dance. (Capulet and his cousin sit down) How long is it now since you and I last wore masks at a party like this?

Capulet's Cousin - I swear, it must be thirty years.

Lord Capulet - What, man? It's not that long, it's not that long. It's been since Lucentio's wedding. Let the years fly by as fast as they like, it's only been twenty-five years since we wore masks.

Capulet's Cousin - It's been longer, it's been longer. Lucentio's son is older than that, sir. He's thirty years old.

Capulet - Are you really going to tell me that? His son was a minor only two years ago.

Romeo - (to a SERVINGMAN) Who is the girl on the arm of that lucky knight over there?

Servingman - I don't know, sir.

Romeo - Oh, she shows the torches how to burn bright! She stands out against the darkness like a jeweled earring hanging against the cheek of an African. Her beauty is too good for this world; she's too beautiful to die and be buried. She outshines the other women like a white dove in the middle of a flock of crows. When this dance is over, I'll see where she stands, and then I'll touch her hand with my rough and ugly one. Did my heart ever love anyone before this moment? My eyes were liars, then, because I never saw true beauty before tonight.

Tybalt - I can tell by his voice that this man is a Montague. (to his Page) Get me my sword, boy.-What, does this peasant dare to come here with his face covered by a mask to sneer at and scorn our celebration? Now, by the honor of our family, I do not consider it a crime to kill him.

Lord Capulet - Why, what's going on here, nephew? Why are you acting so angry?

Tybalt - Uncle, this man is a Montague-our enemy. He's a scoundrel who's come here out of spite to mock our party.