Chapter 12 Tension and recognition

Jake looked to Spider who sat a few feet away from the rest of the kids. Face downcast as he sulked in the sand.

The cut that was across his chest was healing good thanks to Kiri's sap. But Jake feared that it wasn't the cut that was bothering him. It was the treatment the clan and Neytiri gave the poor young boy.

Singling him out, or refusing to let him sleep in the same hut as them.

Kiri had voiced her displeasure on his poor treatment time and time again. But Neytiri still didn't budge on welcoming or at-least tolerating him.

Jake sighed before walking up to join him, sitting down and placing a hand on the boys tiny shoulder.

"Hey Spider" he said softly and the boy gave a halfhearted nod before returning to glare at the ripples of the water underneath them.

"You alright?" Jake asked and he gave a look.

"No, I'm not. When am I ever going to fit in or feel welcomed. I was captured for months, didn't say a word about you guys and everyone still gives me disgusted looks" he said with an exhaustive tone as he buried his head in his hands.

Jake took a collective breath before looking to Neytiri who all but glared at Spider before turning away and resuming preparing dinner.

Jake nodded, Agreeing with Spider who lifted his head to reveal tears that spilled from his brown eyes.

"I'll talk to her, and the clan. Why don't you go hang out with Kiri" he gave a gentle push and Spider got up to wallow away to the only person who actually treated him like a friend.

Jake watched him go. Ears drooped as he got up to talk to his mate. She didn't seem too happy when he approached her.

Tail whipping.

"Neytiri, you have to stop glaring at him. You have to stop going out of your way to hate this kid. He helped us more than once. Without him we wouldn't have had a chance to save our daughters" he crouched beside her and she sat in silence. Furiously chopping the heads of the fish that was on the cutting board.

"He is the seed of that demon. He is an outcast. He does not need to be with us. He should've stayed gone" she gritted through her teeth and Jake sighed deeply through his nose.

"He's just a kid, he isn't Quaritch. He's spider" he told her before getting up to leave her alone until she cooled down.

——————-

"What's wrong Monkey boy?" Kiri teased as Spider all but sulked on her comfortable little hammock. Watching her as she made a beaded necklace for him.

"Nothing, just the fact that everyone hates me" he scoffs out and she halts her movements to look up at him.

"I don't hate you" she told him and he let a smile slip.

"I know you don't, but the rest......your mom" he let the words grow quieter with each pass as he looked to her and her ears flattened.

"She'll get over it" she murmured.

"Kiri" he tried to explain but she wouldn't listen, getting up to join him in the hammock as they shared content looks to each other.

"We are not so different. You and I. We are both sharing almost the same features. Both have parental problems. And are both treated different" she told him as he let his cheek rest against her arm.

"You Spider. Are my dearest friend, and if anything were to happen to you-" she continued, but the last part made him pull away, anger swelling in his chest as he looked up her.