Chapter 7 Challenge and Trials

"Sira WAIT!" He called after her, Pulling himself from the water and sprinting after her. Ignoring the bite of chill in the air on his wet skin.

"No Miles. We just can't" she mumbled through oncoming tears as she tried desperately to outrun him. But his legs were longer and he reached her before she could even leave.

"I'm sorry, if I came across as too much. Or you don't feel the same. Your an amazing woman and ... I thought.... I don't know what I thought" he admitted as he gripped her arms gently to keep her from running away again.

"Miles. You think I don't want this?, that I don't want you?" She asked as if he was stupid. That he dared to doubt that she hadn't felt anything.

"I'm not from your clan, I'm not from any clan on pandora. I ain't even from this planet, why should I expect you to even tolerate me" he scoffed out. Letting her go to turn away and try to control himself.

"Exactly, that is why I care so much for you. That is why whenever I'm Around you. It is like i never want to apart from you, I don't want anyone else" she finally told him with weight in her words.

He looked at her and his ears drooped.

"Then Why?" He begged.

"I am Betrothed to Kano, he is Warrior Chief. My father arranged for us to be a mated pair since we were young. To ensure strong children" she sobbed out as Miles took it all in, harshly swallowing.

"W- what?" He asked.

"It doesn't matter how hard I yearn to be yours Miles. I must do what is best for my clan. And if that is to be with Kano. I must abide by it" she pulled her arms away and left again, but Miles didn't follow.

He just stood speechless.

He'd damn near die then let some piece of shit take Sira.

———————/

The day had finally come where Miles would officially be accepted into the Anteriad clan as a warrior
Amongst them.

He would have his own Hut. And land.

And even have the right to speak with the people

Mo'at stood loyally beside him as the Clan gathered dressed in ceremonial furs and jewelry. Faces painted to resemble the Clan's colors.

Sira stood obediently a few steps from her so called future husband.

He was a brute, a permanent scowl and scars on his ugly face as he nonchalantly waited for the Olo'eyktan to arise from the large main Hut.

Not even striking conversation with her. Only directing her where to go and how to be silent before him.

Sira felt tired and sad.

Her heart trembled in her chest.

She was extremely happy for Miles, but also knew that many woman would flock to him after his passage in hopes of making him their mate.

And the jealousy rose in her chest

To bear the sight of him with another woman.

The sight of the Olo'eyktan made the clan bow as he stepped down the many stones to the center where Miles stood, a pure look of determination on his handsome face as he respectfully made the 'Oel ngati kameie' gesture and Sira's father returned it back.

"My Children, today is a very special day. For our fellow brother Miles has learned all he can. The ways of the Anteriad clan. To hunt and fight with us, to take our ways and make a life among us" the surprising gentleness of her father's tone met the ears of the people as they nodded and chirped in agreement to their great leaders words.

"But now the true test remains. Miles. You once walked with the sky people. You fought with them and lead them.
Today, can you truly depart from those ways and take up a new name. A new generation, a life dedicated with Eywa?" Her father asked and the clan turned to see Miles answer.

"When I was born, I was only a made in the image of monster. Told to follow in said monster's footsteps or be exterminated. And the very memories of him made me so ........ pissed. The reflection I saw of that man was nothing but a heartless wretch that wouldn't stop until this beautiful planet was destroyed for the sake of their parasitic species.

I made it my goal to at-least get revenge for that bastard. But being in the forest., bonding with the Ikran and learning the language and ways. I felt as though I was betraying my own home.

I may not be full Na'vi.

And I may be that same monster to some.

I will not throw my life away like him. I will fight for this clan and I will fight for my home.

As long as I'm still breathin" he said with so much emotion that it moved the clan to an uproar of joy as they chanted and stomped in succession.

Sira smiled fondly at him as the clan soon began to favor the young warrior.
The chief raised his hand to silence their loud celebration.

Nodding with a proud smile as he glimpsed to Sira who shrunk at her father's gaze. But he only briefly looked before leaning to sink his hand into the awaiting war paint and reach up to place his red painted palm atop Miles forehead.

Marking him as one of them.

"By the grace of Eywa, You are now one of the Anteriad people. Your name will be äzantu tìsti Ma Miles" he announced and the clan repeated.

Singing the name fondly as they joined to touch miles shoulders. Back, everywhere they could to place the imprint of their hands onto him and leave the red paint.

For the first time of his moderately short life. He finally felt like he belonged.

The once lost and forgotten feeling. Replaced with joy as the people whispered words of praise and love.

They pulled away to let him speak.

"As my first act as an Anteriad Na'vi. I challenge war chief Kano for the right to become Sira's mate" he boldly pointed to the brooding male and the clan gasped in shock.

His defiant look meeting Kano's arrogant sneer.

Sira's face flushed as tears of disbelief fell from her eyes.

"That's What I'm talking about Sky boy!" Mo'at could be heard giving a triumphant war cry as he supported Miles through the crowd.

The chief looked to Kano as if to ask if he was to take the rival challenge, and Kano nodded.
Slipping his blade sneakily in his grasp as a twisted grin crossed his face.

"I'll make you wish you stayed with your demon friends bastard!" Kano replied cruelly as the clan separated and backed away to allow them plenty of room to fight.

"You gonna shut your mouth and fight me?" Miles spat back with a cocky grin. Winking at Sira who was almost in hysterics at the thought of Miles getting wounded.

Praying to Eywa to protect him.