Aftermath

The day was almost over.

Ga Yi let the drop of sweat roll down his spin as the finished laboring his field. Soon they would be planting and harvesting, so everything needed to be ready by then.

He stood up, looking to the horizon, Youngjae would be coming home soon.

As a matter of fact, he recognized the familiar shape walking towards their little cottage.
A smile spread on his lips as he decided he was done for today. He was missing his loved one too much to continue working right now.

A few minutes later, he welcomed Youngjae and the fishes the latter had caught home.

Life hadn't been easy, that was the least Ga Yi would say.
After pulling their trick and exchanging their own armors with fallen victims of the war, the two Princes had left everything behind.
They had ran away for days, until they were sure no one could recognize them and they had found this little farm to sell.

Since then, it had been days and days of learning and training. From cooking to taking care of a farm by themselves, they had given their all to build their dream.

And they had been rewarded with happiness.

The only fact that, right now, their only concerns were which vegetables to plant, and wether or not they would buy a goat, gave Ga Yi a smile.
His life had gained another meaning and he wouldn't trade it for anything.

By day, he worked alongside Youngjae and at night, they would cook and cuddle together. They lived near a village and from time to time they would spend some time in the inn, drinking and playing games with newly made friends.

The only thing he regretted was not seeing Minghao anymore. He had heard about their Mother passing away a few months back, however he hadn't been able to reach out to his younger brother.

He couldn't risk being recognized.

"How are you?" asked Youngjae as he put the freshly caught fish in the sink.
"Quite tired" honestly answered Ga Yi.
"Good tired?" asked Youngjae, stopping one second to look at Ga Yi.
"Good tired" he confirmed. "The field is ready, we can start planting tomorrow."
"Amazing!" replied Youngjae.

Ga Yi came closer and kissed Youngjae's cheek, before embracing him.

"Are you still sure this is what you want?" asked Ga Yi
"Being here with you, with no preoccupation other than making you happy?" he asked back. "I'm pretty sure it's what I want."

Ga Yi smiled back at him, still not believing he had found someone like Youngjae.

He leaned back a bit, enough to be face to face with Youngjae.

"So you're happy here, you don't regret it?" he asked, he to be sure.
"What is going on?" asked Youngjae. "You know how I feel. I'm happy here."

"Well, I needed to be certain" added Ga Yi. "Because you make me happy too. I don't miss my life as Prince, I was miserable every single day. I do miss Minghao, though... but what I'm trying to say is that I'm finally complete, and it's thank to you."

As he finished his sentence, he quickly leaned in to kiss Youngjae.

"But there's something else" said Ga Yi.
"Knew it" whispered Youngjae, side smiling.

"Youngjae, would you marry me?" asked Ga Yi, Youngjae still in his arms.
"Of course I will" he said, before kissing his fiancé.

~

"Ready?" asked Yibo.
"I am" replied Minghao.

The young King took a deep breath. In a few minutes his life would be changed forever.

It had taken some months, but Minghao had kept the promises he had made to his older brother before the latter faded away. China was changing, slowly but steadily. The first laws that Minghao had passed concerned social classes.

Now, it hadn't been well received by everyone, but Minghao didn't care. He knew in his heart that what he was doing was right.

Once these laws had been legally accepted, Minghao had asked Junhui to marry him, and had spent quite long days to prepare this event.

"Then we should be going" added Yibo.

Minghao shook his head. It wasn't the time to be daydreaming.

Minghao followed Yibo, not paying much attention to the path they were taking. He just wanted it to happen right away.

They finally reached the gardens and headed for the shrine. Guests were already waiting for him.

No. Waiting for them.

Then, Yibo looked to his left and and slightly nodding, he invited Minghao to walk. Finally, the latter looked to his left too, but as the crowd stood up, he couldn't see what he longed for.

So he kept walking the narrow hallway until he finally reached the end. There, he turned left, finally seeing him.

Junhui was dressed in beautiful hand embroidered silk dresses, the same kind as he himself was wearing.
A huge smile spread on his face as he realized the moment had come.

The two grooms walked towards each other until they reached the altar.

Now, Minghao knew the priest had started talking, but he couldn't hear anything besides the his own blood rushing through his body. So many happy feelings were overwhelming him right now that he had to force himself to stay there and not hug Junhui right away.

Minghao didn't even know how long it lasted. He waited until it was his turn to speak and he repeated the vows after the priest, smiled at Junhui as the latter did the same until finally, they were pronounced husband and husband.

Now, Minghao knew they were supposed to walk together and leave the shrine to head for their banquet, but it couldn't wait anymore.
He took Junhui's hand in his and brought him closer, until their lips finally met.

Minghao didn't know how cheered louder, the crowd or the butterflies in his stomach.
This kiss was proof that things could change, that They could change things, together.
China would be entering a new phase, one which he would be proud of!

Minghao pulled away gently and looked into Junhui's eyes.

"I love you" said Junhui, smiling wide.
"I love you too" replied Minghao. "Junhui, King of China."

The End