Truth

"Stop"

Ga Yi didn't even flinch at the fact someone had dared giving him, the Crown Prince of China, an order. He did however flinch because he knew he had to obey. He turned around to face his interlocutor.

Yi Eun was in front of him, and the two of them were in the hallway otherwise empty.

"Stop pushing me away" continued Yi Eun. "What's going on?"

Saying that Ga Yi's heart was being ripped in two was an understatement. He couldn't bear watching the face of the person he loved, knowing damn well he was also loving someone else.
He couldn't even count the years Yi Eun had been by his side, supporting him, loving him.

They had helped each other overcome their respective Father's deaths.
They had shared so many dreams and deep talks.

Ga Yi had kissed his face so many times, promising an eternal love to this man.

How could he possibly stop pushing him away and finally being honest with him?

"I deserve to know" added Yi Eun.
"You're right" responded Ga Yi. "But not here."

Yi Eun nodded to that. He was well aware that the middle of the hallway, just before sunset wasn't the best place to have an honest heart to heart conversation.

Ga Yi walked back to his bedroom, which he had just left before being followed by Yi Eun.
The Prince sat down, waiting for the other to join him.

Each passing second was torture to him.

He had been hurt many times, but none of the physical injuries he might have had during sword training compared to this.

"What's going on?" asked Yi Eun once again.

Ga Yi knew it was best not to make him repeat himself a third time.

"My Mother, the Queen, has struck a deal" he started. "Involving me."

Yi Eun stayed silent, however the Prince could clearly see his jaws clenching.

"The King of Korea and her want Youngjae and I to get married" he added.

Yi Eun took a deep breath, using each passing second to process what he had just heard. Ga Yi let him take his time. It wasn't easy news, and the worst was to come.

"Well, we always knew this could happen" said Yi Eun slowly.

Ga Yi's heart sunk deeper inside his chest. He knew Yi Eun like the back of his hand. The latter was trying to be brave.

"But we can still manage to be together" he added. "Many Kings and Queens have concubines, you can have one too. I'll settle for not having you all to myself.. It will be difficult indeed, but we can manage."

As he said that, Yi Eun reached for Ga Yi's hand, but the latter refused giving it.

"That's not the only thing I need to tell you" he added, not louder than a whisper.

Yi Eun frowned.

"I.. I think that my feelings for you have changed" he added, as his eyes started filling up with tears.

Yi Eun's face was a perfect rendition of what Ga Yi had expected.

Shock
Fear
Incomprehension
Disappointment

"Ga Yi" he said with a trembling voice. "What are you saying exactly?"

These words had been horribly hard to say, the Prince knew it.

"I'm saying that I fell in love with-" he started, not knowing if he would be able to enunciate the name.
"Youngjae" finished Yi Eun. 

The silence fell on them as heavily as it was possible. Ga Yi knew he had to go through with it. Yi Eun deserved the truth, as heartbreaking as it was telling him and watching him processing it.

They stayed like this for a long time.
With each second that passed, Ga Yi could see the furrow he had dug between the two of them.
Slowly, it was as if Yi Eun was becoming a stranger to him. He couldn't understand him as well as he used to.

Yi Eun, who he thought was his promised one, was so far away from him.

"You don't even know him" whispered Yi Eun, looking at his hands. "He's been here for a few days and you're throwing me away?"

Ga Yi didn't reply.

"I've stood by you for years" continued Yi Eun, a little louder. "You said you loved me. You said we would build our future together. You said we would grow up together. Where's all this now?"

Ga Yi took it, he deserved to hear that. It was all true after all.

"Do I mean so little to you?" asked Yi Eun.

This time, he felt Yi Eun's eyes on him. So he lifted his own head and their gazes met.

"You mean the world to me" he said. "That's why I needed to tell you. I've sworn always to be honest with you. That's what I'm trying to do, as hard as it is."

Yi Eun frowned so much his whole face grinned.

"Well, thank you" he said sarcastically.
"I understand you're angry" added Ga Yi.
"Cause a few days old crush is replacing me?" asked Yi Eun on the same tone. "You think?"

"It's not a crush" whispered Ga Yi.

"Are you sure?" asked Yi Eun.

The Prince knew right there that this would be the end of their conversation. Yet, he had to stay honest.

"I am" he confirmed.

Next thing he knew, Yi Eun was leaving the room, letting him deal alone with what had just happened.

Ga Yi simply laid down right there, not having strength to reach his bed. He curled up in a ball and let the tears run down his cheeks freely.

There was no turning back.

He had broken his once favorite person's heart.