The Queen

It was as if Ga Yi wad being split into two different people.

There was happy and lighthearted Ga Yi who walked down the royal gardens with Prince Youngjae, and depressed and guilty Ga Yi who tried to avoid Yi Eun as much as it was physically possible for him.

He had tried not liking Prince Youngjae. In fact, as he had woken up this morning, embraced by a still sleeping Yi Eun, Ga Yi had mentally decided to get over the Korean Prince.

He was just a very interesting and amazing person who happened to also be handsome. That didn't mean Ga Yi had to fall for him, nor that he needed to break Yi Eun's heart because of him.

So, full of confidence, the Crown Prince had gotten dressed and had attended breakfast as normally as he could. Evidently, Prince Youngjae had sat next to him, and evidently, Prince Youngjae had smiled at and talked to him.

Ga Yi had repressed all kinds of tiny flying creatures that seemed to invade his stomach every time he even thought about the Korean Prince and it had kind of worked.

Or well, at least Ga Yi had managed not thinking about kissing him all day.

However, that also meant that he had been extremely careful not to directly look at the Prince's face. The latter was way too dangerous to be handled.

What if Prince Youngjae smiled at him?

All his efforts would be in vain.

"Ga Yi?" asked a feminine voice.

The Prince looked to his left. He hadn't even noticed how he had drifted off.

"Yes Mother?" he replied, trying not to show his worries as he saw the physical damages of the Queen's illness on her face.
"What is going on?" she asked.

Ga Yi knew she would have frowned if she still had the strength to do it.

"Well, our army isn't doing well, so I called the ambass-" he started.
"I know that" she cut him. "I meant.. with you"

Her son let the question float around him, as if it would disappear if he didn't answer.

She had planted her eyes in his, and even thought her body was slowly loosing the battle against her illness, her gaze was still as sharp as it had ever been.

"I'm exhausted" he admitted, concealing all the troubles he was currently feeling -and enduring- into a larger range word.
"Being King will do that, yes" she agreed with a feeble voice.

That last sentence, he had heard it so many times. As if every time he was about to give up, his mother's voice would find him and remind him that if he was the one enduring it all, he was sparring his younger brother from all these troubles.

As much as it killed him, and as much as he didn't want to be king, he didn't want Minghao to have all these burdens.

So he took them himself.

"Will the alliance work?" she asked. 
"I think so" he answered. "The exact term are to be decided tomorrow."
"So fast" she commented.
"Our troops need help now" he explained.

The Queen slightly nodded.

"I always knew you would be a good King" she added. "Even if you hate it."

Ga Yi frowned.

"A mother knows" she added.

She had chuckled with a smile, but after two seconds, the chuckles turned into a heavy cough that brought two maids by their Queen's side.

"Has she been coughing like that a lot?" Ga Yi asked the maid next to him.
"It has worsened two days ago" she informed.
"Why didn't anyone tell me?" he added with anger.
"Cause I commanded them not to tell you" the Queen said, between two coughs.

Ga Yi was in shock.
It was as if a veil had been taken off of his eyes. Now he could see his mother.

It wasn't just that the illness had taken a toll on her. Her hair had whitened and become thiner, some of her nails were broken and she seemed to have aged ten years.
Ga Yi felt his heart sink as he started to understand.

The way she was looking into his eyes was clear enough.

~

"What is it?" asked Yi Eun as the Prince came back into his chamber.

The latter didn't reply, he asked his valet to leave and he started undressing by himself.

"Ga Yi!" called Yi Eun. "You're scaring me!"

As the Crown Prince still didn't answer, Yi Eun walked closer and spun him around until they were facing each other.

"You know you can tell me anything" he added, but in a whisper this time.

Ga Yi maintained the eye contact a little longer before collapsing in Yi Eun's arms. The latter caught him and held him close, waiting for what would come next.

"She won't get better" he whispered, head planted on Yi Eun's shoulder.
"Your Mother?" asked the latter.

He felt Ga Yi nodding against his skin.

"And I'll be forced to be King for real" he added, a single tear rolling down his cheek.