News

Minghao was silently watching.
Well, he was always silently watching.

He had the right (and obligation) to always be present during official meetings with the councilors. As usual, he sat by his older brother's side.

Ga Yi was a strong and wise man, that Minghao had always admitted. He was also three years older than him, which meant that the second their mother would pass away, he would have his rightful throne officially.
Informally, Ga Yi had already taken on all of the Royal duties a King had. Their mother was currently old and sick, and she had asked him to take care of everything.

The councilors had welcomed these news with relief, as they knew it had become to difficult for their Queen to keep on ruling.
However, outside of the Royal walls, no one knew about this arrangement. It would have been considered treason.

All of this was a problem for the younger Prince. Yet, he couldn't say anything.

Minghao sighed in his head. He wasn't even listening to today's problems, but judging by Ga Yi's expression, things were complicated.

Perhaps trouble with the war.

Minghao shook his head. Now wasn't the moment to wish he had been born before his brother. Now was the time to listen to the messenger's news.

"We won't have enough troops to defeat the enemy" added said messenger.

No need to have listened to the rest of his message then. Their army was in a difficult position apparently. Minghao looked at his brother, trying to guess how the latter would react to these news.

He wouldn't admit defeat, that wasn't his type.
Yet, they had no people to sent to war anymore...
That meant that there was only one other solution available.

"Call the scribe" announced Ga Yi. "Send an invitation to the Korean Court."

That's what I thought.
But the Korean Court?

"Very well my Prince" replied one of his councilors.
"Let's pray that they will help us" mumbled Ga Yi, which only Minghao heard.

~

So many words were burning Minghao's lips.
He had so much to say, so much to express that his chest hurt. It was ironic how so many people would want his place, yet he hated it passionately.

He knew people longed to live in the Palace, to have everything they ever wished, from education to any sort of food, to have as many servants to their feet as they want.
To be honest, it had its advantages, Minghao was aware of that. However, it also was the worst position for him.

As he was the second Prince, all he had heard in his life was about Ga Yi. Absolutely everything.
From "Ga Yi would be -and currently was- a good ruler", to "always look up to him".
No one really cared about him as a person, he was only seen as Ga Yi's replacement if something happened to the latter.

No, that wasn't true. There were two people who actually cared about him as a person.

First, Ga Yi did. They had grown up quite close -as close as their educational duties had allowed them- and Minghao knew that he could open up to him at any time if he wanted to.
However, the younger Prince felt trapped.

How could he admit to his older brother that as much as he loved him, he hated him too?
How could he tell him that he loved him as a brother but hated him as a Prince?

There was also a part of him that hated himself for even thinking that. It wasn't more Ga Yi's fault if he had been born before Minghao as it was his own to have been born second.

It was just how things were.

Minghao needed to accept that.

"My Prince"

Minghao felt as if he had been slapped. He turned around, only to see that it was one of his valet. He had been so concentrated on his thoughts that he hadn't noticed the familiar pace behind him and had been startled when the valet had spoken.

"Excuse me, but it seems that my Prince is not headed for the library" he said.

Minghao looked around him. The valet was right. He wasn't. He hadn't noticed how he had just started walking around the Palace with no precise destination.

"Yet, my Prince has a lesson in the library starting soon" added the valet. "If my Prince isn't feeling well, I can cancel it."
"Everything is fine, I just was thinking" he said. "Let's head for the library."

In fact, Minghao had not only forgotten that he had a lesson, but he had also forgotten that today it would take place in the library instead of the music room.
The valet nodded and the two of them changed directions.

The library was silent, as it usually was. Minghao knew that his teacher would already be waiting for him at a table. As soon as the latter saw him, he stood up and bowed lowly to his Prince.

"How many times have I told you not to do that" said Minghao.
"I have to bow to my Prince" replied the teacher. "There is no other way."

Minghao felt a smile forming on his lips as they kneeled in front of the table.

"What are we doing today?" asked Minghao. "No dance lesson?"
"Not today my Prince" replied the teacher. "In fact, your brother, his Highness, has asked me to teach you a little more Korean. If I'm being told correctly, my Prince has already some notions?"

"Could we at least call each other by our names?" asked Minghao.
"I wouldn't dare to, however, if my Prince wants to call me by my name, it would be an honor" replied the teacher.

Minghao sighed.

"Very well Soonyoung, even though you say that every time I ask if we can call ourselves by our names" he said. "And I do indeed have already studied Korean, but it's been a while."

~

Time had flown and before he knew it, Minghao's lesson was over. He had enjoyed this quieter time with Soonyoung, however he was a bit surprised that Ga Yi hadn't told him about this before. He knew that this was about the upcoming visit from a Korean ambassador, but still.

"My Prince, should I call for your meal?" asked the valet.
"I'm not hungry" he replied. "How much time do I have? I want to spend time in the music room."
"You have time my Prince. I'll come and call you before your sword training" answered the valet.

"Very well" said Minghao, trying to hide his smile.

~

Minghao pushed the door aside, trying not to give himself too much hope. Fortunately, hopes were met.

"Hey" he greeted, smiling naturally.

The only person in the room looked up at him with the most perfect smile on his face. Minghao felt a wave of relief go through him, washing away all of the negative emotions he had carried around since this morning.
Just being in the same room as him was enough to soothe him.

"Hi" greeted back said person, standing up.
"I'm so glad to see you" added Minghao, walking up to him.
"So am I" replied the latter as the Prince embraced him.

"I missed you Junhui" whispered the Prince.