Learning to Love

"So, what was with that change of voice?" You asked.

You stood beside the Undertaker as the two of you waved goodbye to the carriage of Ciel Phantomhive, which was taking off as he gained all the information he needed.

"What was with your sudden sassiness? I hadn't expected an angel to be capable of an insult."

Your frowned at the avoidment.

"That devil was being rude! And what kind of a butler is so petty as to slam the door in his own host's face?"

"That is a fair point, I suppose."

"Because it is!" You exclaimed, throwing your hand up into to air in frustration. "Devils are petty! Petty! Petty! Petty!"

"Aren't you a devil, also?"

You frowned harder.

"I'm no devil. I'm far from petty."

"Oh yes, that's right," He replied in amusement. "You aren't petty. You're sassy, aren't you?"

"Stop that!"

"Alright, alright. I won't make your cheeks any more red. Let's finish preparing the body, yes?"

You huffed, beginning to cling onto the retired reaper's arm.

"Fine. Hey, do you know what was up with that reaper? There was one with them! The one with glasses. What was their name? It was Grell."

The Undertaker hummed in thought, "I'm quite sure that would be Madame Red's butler."

"But they have those green eyes. And they were wearing glasses. That means they're working. Why would they be a butler? That doesn't make any sense."

"Maybe he'd like something from her."

"What would a reaper possibly want from a human?"

The Undertaker let out a sudden laugh that startled you. He placed a hand on your head as the two of you reentered the shop.

"Many things."

"Like what?"

"Pleasure, or maybe they're simply curious about something only humans now about, maybe they're in love. There are lots of reasons one would be interested in a human."

Your face became one of disgust.

"'Pleasure'? That's. . ." You paused while trying to find the right word to describe it, but you eventually settled with a plain, "Weird. Why would reapers do that anyway? It's not like they can reproduce. Reapers can't make other reapers. Reapers become reapers for other strange reasons."

"Oh?" The Undertaker questioned. "And how is it that you know so much about grim reapers? That isn't common knowledge, that's easily accessible, you know."

He looked down at you expectantly, only to realize he was no longer playing with your hair, but your wing.

You shrugged, "My mum liked reapers. She wanted to learn all about them."

"Your mother. . . The devil, liked reapers?"

"Father told me she was bored. She wanted to write a book about supernatural beings, and since she knew everything about demons, she moved onto grim reapers. After she did, she wanted to learn about angels. That's how she met my dad."

The Undertaker tapped his chin in interest, suddenly eager to learn more about your background. It was only natural. Who wouldn't be curious about the child they brought into their home?

"I was under the impression beings are unable to enter Heaven, or allowed to leave? How did she manage that?"

"She was smart." - was all you said.