𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 14. apple, pt.1

Beginne am Anfang

His eyes began to moisten and the protagonist also settled into a chair, right across from him. Jake was an asshole but above all he was a broken soul, a young man who'd lost someone precious.

    "Everything I gained from him like generosity, kindness... It all went with him and I became a real asshole. I resented everyone who didn't come to his funeral."

His fists were clenched and his eyes locked on those of his comrade, who was as silent as ever. Her heart was beating fast, she'd never seen Jake like this, it was like discovering a whole new person.

    "This goes against my best friend's values, I'm not honoring him by doing this. I'm really sorry Nana."
The first tear rolled down his cheek, but he quickly wiped it away.

     "Jake—"

    "It's completely stupid but... The reason I wanted to hate you so much was because you were the last person he talked to me about before he died, before I went home... Leaving him alone in the school."

    "Wait, what?"
She had whispered, in a faint voice.

    "Ah, yes... It was supposed to be a secret but Sunghoon had a huge crush on you last year. He never dared to come and talk to you because of me, you were such a discreet girl. I kept telling him that you didn't quite live in the same world."

The heroine had almost risen from her chair, astonished by this revelation.

This was a new thing that Sunghoon had kept from her and once again, she thought it was Jake's joke, but his voice's tone showed otherwise.

Her heart was beating faster and faster, she felt like it was going to burst out of her chest. Not to mention her cheeks heated up too. This was the last thing she could imagine.

Sunghoon, one of the most popular boys in high school with a bright athletic future and... Nana, a lonely, weird and taciturn girl. He had a crush on her.

It was like mixing water and fire, light and darkness.

     "The last thing he'd said to me was how well dressed you were that day."

    "You're kidding right..?"
Now her whole face was red. Jake had noticed it well enough, he couldn't help but chuckle.

     "No bullshit, I swear."

     "I don't believe you."

The club door opened again, this time violently. Rachel rushed inside despite the fact that Junko was holding her from behind.

    "I'm gonna kick his fat ass, let me—"
Both students immediately jumped to their feet as they saw the president still as furious as ever. "Oh. Are you all right, Nana?"

The protagonist had shyly nodded and looked at Jake, a smile on her lips.

She was supposed to find a solution for the ghost's injuries later, after a weekend of rest. However, the spiritism club and Jake's apologies had disturb her so much that she wanted to sort it all out today before leaving.