I Can See You

College freshmen' move-in day was the first time you laid eyes on Julien. She was leaning against the wall next to her room, talking to someone. The first thing you noticed was the artwork of tattoos plastered over her arms and hands. She had her arms crossed and when her eyes looked in your direction, she gave you a cold look. You almost felt a sense of embarrassment before making your way into your dorm room.

Phoebe, your roommate was hanging up posters on her side of the room when you returned. You plopped down on your bed with a sigh. She turned her head to glance at you before continuing what she was doing.

"What's the sigh for?"

You shrugged, even though she wasn't looking in your direction.

"It's nothing."

Almost every day, you would pass Julien in the dorm hallway. She would look you up and down but would say nothing. Some days it almost felt like she had something she wanted to say, but she was biting her tongue.

A few weeks into the first semester, you got a job at the bookstore. You needed to earn some cash, plus when you weren't studying or going to class, you were pretty bored. Phoebe was out a ton and you guys only saw each other at night and right before you had early morning classes.

Julien also worked at the bookstore, but she worked weekend mornings while you worked weekend nights. You guys would cross paths when she would be leaving, and you would be coming in.

One Friday night, you had just gotten off of work at around 9 pm. As you made your walk back to the dorms, you found yourself getting lost in the music playing loudly in your earbuds. The walk was only about 10 minutes, giving you plenty of time to daydream.

As you got closer to the dorms, you noticed a figure leaning against the brick wall outside. When you got closer, you realized it was Julien.

She was leaning against the wall, smoking a cigarette. She was staring at the sky, and you couldn't help but stare at her. She looked like an angel. You were only about five feet away from her and with your fate, her head snapped in your direction, eyes meeting yours. You were lost in your thoughts at this point that her voice brought you out of your daydream.

"Take a picture. It'll last longer sweetheart." She said, holding her cigarette between her fingers. She had a smirk plastered on her lips.

Your eyes widened and you nervously ran a hand through your hair, rushing past her into the dorms.

When you were finally back in your room, you laid on your bed, trying to rid the image of her. But you couldn't.

She took up your thoughts. No matter how hard you tried to forget about her, you couldn't. You saw her everywhere, and a part of you wanted to get to know her better.

Every time you left your dorm, she was pretty much always in the hallway. Leaning against the wall. She would catch a glance at you before returning to looking at her phone.

Your stomach would fill with butterflies and your heart would pound in your chest.

At night, you fantasized about the two of you together. Sharing kisses, holding hands, and laughing together. But a part of you knew that that possibility was pretty low. The way she was around you, made you feel that she hated your guts.

One night after you had been up studying for hours, you decided that you needed to take a break. After closing your laptop and taking your earbuds out, you grabbed your keycard and headed outside.

It was the middle of October and the cool air instantly hit your skin as you walked outside. You had forgotten to grab a jacket, so you hugged your arms, walking to the side of the building.