Struggling To Regress

Spencer woke the next morning, but he didn't seem to be in a good mood. He was acting out like a toddler would but he wasn't regressed, he seemed annoyed.

"Spencer, eat your breakfast, Rossi cooked that for you"

"Yeah well he didn't have to" Spencer rolls his eyes.

"You're right he didn't have to but he did, but you also said you were hungry so eat" Hotch gives him his stern look. As soon as Rossi sat down with them, Spencer decided that he was going to get up and down from the table. Saying he needed a drink or he needed to use the bathroom, there was always an excuse until Hotch had to remind him to stay seated.

"You have everything you need, now sit down" Hotch grabs his arm so he wouldn't get up again.

"Whatever" he rolled his eyes again. Instead of eating the rest of his food, he just played around with it.

"You finished?" Rossi asks Spencer, who just shrugs.

"Reid..he asked you a question. Are you finished or not?"

"Yes I'm finished..god" he muttered the last bit under his breath.

"Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning" Rossi says. After breakfast was cleaned up, Rossi had to run some errands and was hoping Spencer would go with him.

"Hey, fancy running some errands with me? I need an extra pair of hands for some big stuff"

"Not really, why can't Hotch go with you?"

"He's got some stuff to do?"

"Stuff? You can't be more specific than that?"

"Fine, he's got to wait for some deliveries" Rossi tells him.

"Why can't I do that instead?"

"Because they'll need his signature and not yours"

"Fine, I guess I'll go get dressed" he gets up and heads to his room where he took forever getting ready.

"Reid, come on" Dave knocks on his door.

"I'm coming, I'm coming, jeez" Spencer opens his door. He follows Rossi to his car and gets in the passenger.

"Seatbelt" Rossi tells him once he had seen that Spencer made no movement on putting it on.

"What? Why? We're probably only driving just a few minutes" he groans.

"Why is for your safety so you don't go splat against my screen, seatbelt on" Rossi tells him.

"Roll your eyes one more time Reid and see what will happen"

"You can't tell me what to do" he crosses his arms over his chest.

"You're right I can't but I'd appreciate it if you stopped with the attitude"

"What? I suddenly can't have a bad day?" He scoffs.

"You can have a baby day just not a bad attitude, remember we're just trying to help you" it was silent for the rest of the journey there and back. Spencer went into his room and slammed the door.

"Sounds like you two had a great time" Hotch says sarcastically.

"Oh, it was great" Rossi retaliates back.

"Help me please" he chuckles. They bring the boxes in before chilling out. They realised that Spencer must've been asleep for a while as it was very quiet in his room. Rossi knocks on his door before peeping his head in to see that he was asleep. Once they emptied a couple of boxes, they heard Spencer crying.

"Reid? Can we come in?"

"No, go away" he sobs.

"You know we can't do that, knowing you're upset" they both head in and sit on each side of the bed.

"I'm sorry, ok, is that what you want to hear"

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" he sobs.

"Spencer, what's gotten you so upset?"

"I'm sorry" Spencer immediately hugs Hotch.

"It's ok, it's ok" he rubs his back up and down as he glances over to Rossi. They wait for Spencer to calm down before getting him to talk.

"I can't regress" he admits.

"Oh, is that why you've been acting out today?"

"Yes and I'm sorry"

"No, it's ok, do you want to regress?"

"Yeah but for some reason I just can't, I want to I really do but I don't know why" he starts crying again.

"It's ok, what about a kids programme or we could read a book that'll help you regress"

"I don't know"

"It's ok, we'll figure it out" it was Rossi's turn to hug Spencer. Once he had calmed down they all had dinner, Spencer distanced himself for the evening whilst Hotch and Rossi looked up ways to help someone regress. They decided they'd try it in the morning as they both thought that Spencer clearly had a rough day.

"I'll just check on him then I'm going to bed"

"Alright night"

"Night" Rossi makes his way to Spencer's room before quietly knocking, when no answer came he poked his head in to see that Spencer was asleep.

"Night kiddo" he whispered before closing the door and heading to his room. He got changed before getting under the covers and going to sleep.