nineteen

Caine

The sound of my oxfords clicking on the tiles of the basement floor is the only thing keeping me grounded.

It's finally happening. I am going to bring my mother justice tonight. She will be able to rest knowing that I have avenged her death.

The idea should elate me, but instead I only feel hollow. I had ordered Maks to fly to Chicago to capture Huxston. He along with the American were shackled in one of my interrogation rooms below the Belaya Roza, my nightclub. I round the corner coming to stand before the door. This door is the only thing standing in the way of me from getting my revenge.

I take a deep breath and walk into the room. My eyes immediately lock with the American's. Her eyes are bloodshot and fixing me with a look of unadulterated rage. I have to avert my gaze, only to find Huxston coming to from his tranquilizer infused nap.

It takes him several times, but he's eventually able to lift his neck. He rolls it around blinking several times and then his eyes find me. I'm leaned against the farthest wall facing them, my arms crossed over my chest. Huxston looks confused at first, like he can't formulate who I am and why he is bound to a chair but then it dawns on him. The realization like a slap to the face. He narrows his eyes.

"What the fuck is going on?" He says, his tongue thick from the tranquilizer.

"Nice to see you again Maxwell." Huxston thrashes against his restraints.

"You stupid fucking..." He only then looks over and finds the American, mouth duct taped in the corner of the room. His eyes widen in shock, dissolving into anger. "What do you think you're doing?" He spits. "What do you want with her?"

I push off the wall and slowly make my way over to the American. I reach up, trailing my finger tips down her soft cheeks. She looks at me now like the thought of me touching her revolts her.  But it had only been last night when the prospect of me touching had her all hot and bothered.

I twist my face into a wicked smirk. "I've had fun making a slave out her." I grab her chin. "She's a screamer." I wouldn't actually know that, although I would be lying if I said I hadn't imagine what fucking her would be like.

The American's eyes flash with hurt at my comment and it almost makes me falter, but then my sick satisfaction is filled when I catch the look on Huxston's face.

"You motherfucker! I'll kill you if you touched her!" He snarls, thrashing against the chair again.

I laugh and push the Americans face away. "And how do you plan to do that? You're chained to a chair."

"Untie me and let me have a go at you, you sick bastard." He bites. I laugh again. Huxston knows damn well I would pummel him in fight. He's too big a pussy to pack an actual punch.

"Stop fucking around and tell me why we're here." He says. He's already wearing thin on my nerves, my fists are itching to smash his face in. The idea of unlocking his chains and going at him is looking more and more ideal. Instead, I reach into my pocket and pull out my blade. The chink of the jagged blade opening seems to reverberate off the walls. I use the blade to clean underneath my nails, sucking my teeth as Huxston's patience grows thin.

"Well I think we should start with the elephant in the room. Should I tell her or are you going to man up and do the honors?" I say nonchalantly.

Huxston knows what I am referring to, because he sets his jaw.

"Clocks ticking Maxwell. I'm telling her in three...two..."

"Fine!" He blusters, as he looks over at the American. "At least take the tape off her mouth." He growls at me. I smirk and go over to her. Her dark eyes are pools of obsidian as I near her. Her emotions are rolling off of her like waves. Pain, anger, confusion. She doesn't fight when I reach up and rip the tape off her mouth. She gasps, and then looks over at Huxston.

"Mr. Huxston what's he talking about?" She says, her voice sounding ragged. I roll my eyes at her calling him Mr. Huxston.

"Tell her now." I bite, still standing in front of the American.

Huxston sighs deeply. "Maeve. I need you to listen to me okay? I know that this won't make a lot of sense, but please just try to understand."

"Skip the heart to heart Maxwell. He's your..."

"Sick bastard!" Huxston yells, cutting me off.

"I'm your father!" Huxston yells.