Chapter 22: Two Birds One Stone

Luna said vaguely that she did not know how soon Rita's interview would appear in The Quibbler, that her father was expecting a lovely long article on recent sightings of Crumple-Horned Snorkacks. "And, of course, that'll be a very important story, so Harry's might have to wait for the following issue," said Luna.

I could tell Harry had not found it an easy experience to talk about the night when Voldemort had returned. Rita had pressed him for every little detail, and he had given her everything he could remember, knowing that this was his one big opportunity to tell the world the truth. I did my best to fill in any holes that Harry had left, but my account of it was basically the same as Harry's.

After we had finished we parted ways, Harry heading back to the castle, Hermione figuring out the last details with Rita, and Luna and I heading back out into Hogsmead.

"I love you (Y/n)." Luna told me as we headed back towards the castle. "I had a great time today."

"I love you too Luna, and so did I." I told her with a wide smile.

"I got you something." She told me pulling something shiny and emerald. "I thought you'd like this, I made it myself."

And she handed an emerald ring to me, I took it from her and saw that the band was shaped to look like a snake.

"Thank you Luna, I love it!" I told her slipping it onto my right pointer finger. "I got you something as well." I told her, pulling out a silver bracket with a small raven pendant on it.

"(Y/n)!" She said happily putting it immediately onto her wrist. "It's beautiful, I love you so much!" And she pulled me into a close passionate kiss.

...

"Can't wait to see what Umbridge thinks of you going public," said Dean, sounding awestruck at dinner on Monday night. Seamus was shoveling down large amounts of chicken-and-ham pie on Dean's other side, but I knew he was listening.

"It's the right thing to do, Harry, (Y/n)," said Neville, who was sitting opposite him. He was rather pale, but went on in a low voice, "It must have been . . . tough . . . talking about it. . . . Was it?"

"Yeah," mumbled Harry, "but people have got to know what Voldemort's capable of, haven't they?"

"That's right," said Neville, nodding, "and his Death Eaters too . . . People should know. . . ."

Neville left his sentence hanging and returned to his baked potato. Seamus looked up, but when he caught Harry's eye he looked quickly back at his plate again.

After a while Dean, Seamus, and Neville departed for the common room, leaving Harry, Hermione, and me at the table waiting for Ron, who had not yet had dinner because of Quidditch practice.

"Oh, I forgot to ask you," said Hermione brightly, glancing over at the Ravenclaw table as Cho sat down with she friend, "what happened on your date with Cho? How come you were back so early?"

"Er . . . well, it was . . ." said Harry, pulling a dish of rhubarb crumble toward him and helping himself to seconds, "a complete fiasco, now you mention it."

And he told us what had happened in Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop.

". . . so then," he finished several minutes later, as the final bit of crumble disappeared, "she jumps up, right, and says 'I'll see you around, Harry,' and runs out of the place!" He put down his spoon and looked at Hermione. "I mean, what was all that about? What was going on?"

Hermione glanced over at the back of Cho's head and sighed. "Oh, Harry," she said sadly. "Well, I'm sorry, but you were a bit tactless."

"Me, tactless?" said Harry, outraged. "One minute we were getting on fine, next minute she was telling me that Roger Davies asked her out, and how she used to go and snog Cedric in that stupid tea shop — how was I supposed to feel about that?"