Broken Ego, Broken Heart 💔

Start from the beginning

"You've seen how miserable I am then?" He growled.

"I wouldn't say miserable,,"

"Would you say I'm happy?"

"Percy, what's wrong?"

"Can't I just miss my girlfriend?"

"I spend every single waking second with you."

"You're saying I'm needy?"

"Yes!-- no, no. I mean," Percy shook his head and started the walk back to Grover. "Percy,"

"Have a great time, Annabeth."

"Percy, come on. Let's go back to your cabin, okay?"

"No, you're sick of me, I get it. Don't worry, Beth," Percy made it back to Grover.

"I take it that didn't go so well?"

"What gave you that impression?"

"Well..."

"I know!"

"It was pretty bad..."

"I feel like I'm losing her," Grover sighed.

"Perce, you're overreacting; it's the last night before you guys leave. What do you want from her?"

"She's my girlfriend, why isn't she spending time with me?"

"She spends every other second with you," Percy groaned and dug the heels of his palms into his eyes.

"That's what she said."

"I don't get it."

"No-- that's what Annabeth said," that was when he saw it. Connor pulled Annabeth out towards the beach. His territory-- his father's domain. "I've gotta go," Percy took a deep breath and made for his cabin.

He couldn't get the look on Annabeth's face out of his head, and man, was it doing wonders in his head. You'd think trauma would bring them closer together, but lately, she's treating him like he's the reason they fell into Tartarus.

//

Annabeth watched as the waves lapped at the sand, inviting her in. She tried not to focus on Percy's sad face that she could see forming in the sand as the waters swirled around her and Connor's ankles. Percy has to understand that too much time is as detrimental to their relationship as not enough. But gods, does being here make her yearn for him. It's not like he's not in their-- his cabin waiting for her...probably thinking about the things he'd like to do to her and the things she could do to him.

"--What do you think?" Connor didn't deserve this. She's known that he liked her since they were kids, since before she even knew Percy existed, and yet...

"Huh?"

"I asked you what prank was better, mine or Travis's?"

"Travis's for sure." He nudged her playfully. "What!? It's true, you'll forever be in his handsome shadow."

"Oh shut it."

"Make me."

"Don't say that to me."

"How come, you chicken?"

"No."

"Then what is it?"

"You know I'll kiss you."

"And you think I'd let that happen?"

"Let's see?" He started to lean in, but she put her index finger in between his eyebrows.

"We've been through this, Connor, I love Percy, you know, the guy I'm moving in with tomorrow?"

"Then how come you're here and not with him?"