Kapitulo 29

Cassava cake

"I know you're angry but I hope you take it easy," he said.

Pinalipat ko siya sa kama at roon pinaupo. I sat behind him. He complained a lot while I was treating his back. Alam kong nakakaya niya ang sakit, sadyang papansin lang siya.

Tinusok ko ang bulak sa sugat niya. I heard him groaned again.

"Indahin mo, Zekeil."

My problem with what happened awhile ago disappeared temporarily because of what I'm doing now. He didn't admit where he got the scratches and this small wound on his back. But I doubt it, he got it last night. Because what happened was impossible. His reason is unbelievable too.

Matapos kong linisin, kinuha ko ang antibiotic cream. I rubbed it on his scratches and wounds to prevent infection. After that I put the bandage on. Bahagya kong tinulak ang likod niya.

"Tapos na. Sabi ko naman sa'yong lakihan mo pa para lalambingin na kita."

I am mad. I can't bear to look at his back full of scratches. Binaba niya ang damit at nilingon ako. He sighed for some reason.

"Let's talk."

Tinanggal ko ang pagkakaekis ng aking mga braso at umalis sa harapan niya.

"Kung tungkol sa nangyari kanina, papayag ako. But if it's just about how you felt, huwag ka ng umasa."

I heard him sighed deeply again. I took the medicine kit and put it under the bedside table.

Nahagip ng paningin ko ang dala niyang sopas. I only took a small sip. Wala na rin akong planong ubusin 'to. Next to it was a tablet for my fever. Hindi ko na rin 'yon nainom.

"Where is Viahna now?" I asked.

He became mute.  Nahuli ko siyang malalim ang iniisip. Nilapitan ko nalang ang mga kurtina at hinawi. I don't understand the weather now. It will rain suddenly and then it will pour heavily again.

I was stunned to see the mountain covered in foggy clouds, it descended even more. It was gleesome for my vision. Even though I don't want to take my eyes off it, I have to because I want to end everything now.

I sat on the arm chair while my eyes were focused on him. I don't know if it was because of what I said that he kept quiet there or what. I think he wanted to avoid it. If he didn't want to, he wouldn't have wanted to talk to us like what he wants. Siguro nga ang tanong ko ang dahilan.

I shifted my weight to the right side.

"Why can't you answer me?" He remains silent. And that's the reason why my sleeping annoyance with him woke up. "I still don't get you, Zekeil. You told me before that you're faithful to your wife. But you proved it wrong many times!"

Bumaling siya sa gawi ko pero nakatingin lang, hindi sinagot ang mga sinabi ko.

"Why did you yell at her and drag her out? Huh? Didn't you even feel pity?"

I really understand what Viahna did to me so even though that was the reason why I lost consciousness, what I feel for her is guilt and sadness. Kung ilalagay ko ang sarili sa sitwasyon niya baka mas grabe pa ang gagawin ko kaysa ginawa niya sa akin.

I've never been angry with her. It so sad that because of me Zekeil treats her like that.

Parang wala silang pinagsamahan.

Parang hindi niya asawa ang pinapalayas niya.

The promises he made at the altar were useless because of his betrayal.