6. Polly: Chapter Six

Start from the beginning

"I will solve that problem for you," Bill laughed.

"It's quite alright, sir. Maybe you check on your own frien-" Henry started before Bill had grabbed him by his collar in both hands and raised him up again. "Or not," Henry muttered.

"Say goodbye, mister."

"Doctor, please."

"Doctor," Bill nodded. "Goodbye." He was about to launch Henry across the dock again but suddenly stopped when he felt a smack across the back of his neck. He loosed his grip on Henry and reached around to feel what had hit him. He found a shard of glass stuck into his skin, he pulled it and examined it. It was covered in a mixture of his blood and a lubricant of some kind.

"Clear oil," Henry pointed out after seeing the puzzled look on Bill's face.

Bill dropped Henry and turned to face whoever had the cowardly nerve to attack him from behind.

Henry spotted Polly first. She stood forty feet or so away, holding his belt in one hand and a glass bottle in the other. He examined the shape of the bottle Polly held and his eyes widened, he knew what was going to come next so he crawled away from Bill without the big guy noticing.

"You stupid whore!" Bill yelled furiously. He made a start towards her.

"This is for Geoff Alexander! My father!" Polly screamed back before throwing the bottle with all her strength at Bill's chest. It exploded on impact, tossing her backwards into a row of barrels.

Polly was laid on her back, unwilling to move. She felt dazed and lost all sense of where she was. Her body was numb and it seemed she could only move her eyes.

"That was quite an impact," remarked Henry, crawling up to her. "Maybe should have stepped backwards when he got closer to you."

"Wha-what ha-happened?" Polly mumbled. She could feel the pain starting across her body.

"You saved my life, Polly. Took quite a hit, but you look all in one piece. I could kiss you." Henry said enthusiastically.

Polly turned her head slightly, "Please don't, Doctor." Her words sounding clearer.

"Just Henry, please," he placed her hand in his. "And I won't. I will just need to check you over and make sure nothing is broken."

"I think my sanity was lost over there somewhere by the liquid dynamite," Polly feebly held up a finger while grinning a little. "Did Bill?"

"No," replied Henry before she could say anymore. He glanced around the area to see bits of the gigantic man surrounding them. He hoped Polly would not see them just yet.

After examining her joints and ribs, Henry was pleased to confirm nothing was broken. He offered an outstretched arm to assist in helping her up. She breathed heavily and held there hand to her chest.

You'll be quite alright soon. Give it a few minutes," Henry stated.

"I don't have a few minutes," Polly gasped. "My father..." She turned to face the ship, all the children were still lined up on the deck looking out at them.

Polly collected herself and made for the ship. She stepped on something slimy and almost slipped. She recoiled backwards then looked about herself.

Before she could say anything, Henry stepped beside her and spoke softly. "Will it help if I say it's fish?"

Polly stiffened as she took in the surrounding red patches and lumps of flesh. A severed hand holding a shard of glass caught her attention. "It's Bill, isn't it?" She tried to sound casual.