7

"I was screwed." She said as a sigh left through her plump lips.

"Wow. He's good with words." Samir agreed.

Both friends mused over whatever was recited.

Before she began again.

--

2.75 hours to go

Since that diagnosis, Sabiha has been fairly quiet. She now had the answer to her question. 'How can one fall in such a short time?'

With whatever was going on within her, she could highly relate Darman's articulated answer. 'Shit.'

"Kya hua?" He asked. (What happened?)

"Oh, nothing." Again she brushed it off, trying to restrain her wheels. The chemicals and nervous system were going haywire while she thought of every single technique of her thick psychology books to calm herself.

'Shit.'

How it happened she had no clue, but as her Dada had said, he is a nice man. Sorted, handsome, caring, understanding, and all the good adjectives that one would like in a partner. But, here they are.

They walked non-stop with their chat flowing in between them. She picked up a lot about him. He smelled like cinnamon, liked hot chocolate in rainy weather, preferred debate over counseling, likes summer more than winter, and most of all, in love with someone who isn't Sabiha Iftekhar. 'Ouch.'

"You know, I should apologize." Darman spoke out in the middle of their debate of hot chocolate being better with marshmallows or whipped cream.

"Bilkul. (Absolutely) Marshmallows are superior to your cream." She pulled out her tongue as he looked bemused at her antics. His Father said that the bride was as 'graceful as a delicate rose in a winter'. His father's monologue, not his.

"I meant something different." Clearing his throat, he closed his eyes to recollect himself.

"Mujhe maaf kardein aap. (Please forgive me) I shouldn't be doing this- eloping. Yet my hands are tied. I tried to see through every other way to not disgrace you or our family, but everything was happening fast. I was here, people were filling on the guest list, families were more involved than ever before. I won't say I tried to stop feeling for her-" Sabiha's eyes were taking him in. She noticed the slight changes in his facial muscles as he spoke, most of all his eyes which again lit up at her mention. That felt like a sore punch in the gut. Bloody painful if she could best describe it.

"- because I didn't. In fact, I... just couldn't. So, yes, I am going away. But please do forgive me if you have it in you. I just wanted to say this to you, Sabby."

She never felt her name, precisely a nickname, could sound so... different. A good kind-of difference.

"That makes the two of us, doesn't it?" She muttered brittly, afraid of her voice breaking off. 

When you know the ending, 

sometimes it hurts, doesn't it?