🇻​

"Where the hell is he?" I shrieked as I took another turn in this maze of a villa.

Kicking the pleats of the blush pink saree, I once again turned after reaching a dead end. Not one sign of the man, not even a damn single hair!

Moreover, being dragged by some cousins of his, after Ali announced we are from the "dulhe-wale" side to the inquisitive aunties. The next thing I knew, Ali was dragged by the male cousins to some other room while Rabeya and I to another for "looking the part". I have no clue what that meant till draped into a gorgeous saree and hair tied to a loose low bun. Rabeya was given a white anarkali and she looked like a fairy. I swear Ali would be swooning when he lays his eyes on her.

"Found you!"

Turning around, I saw Ali jogging towards me. He cleaned up nicely. Wearing a baby blue color sherwani suit with little golden details in the neckline.

"He is not outside" he informed as we made our way down an unknown hallway. My nerves were all over the place and my nails were dug deep into my palm. Any more pressure and the skin will crack, but I was nervous. I was scared.

"Sammy, loosen up. You look like your blood got sucked out. Not a good sight at all."

"Well, you won't understand-

"You won't have been like this-

"If I had said this a long time back. I know, Ali." I completed his sentence for I know I made a mess. Which I don't usually do.

"Act natural." He suggested.

"I am, trust me." I scoffed off.

"Nope. So act natural." Emphasizing the last bit, he added on. Stopping in my tracks, I turned to face the doofus beside me. Yes, doofus.

"For your kind information, this has been my most natural mood. Utter and complete panic." I piped in.

"Well think, like it is the most natural day on earth."

"Not helping."

"Will you cooperate, Samreen?" Ali groaned as he ran his hands over his face.

"When a person is panicking, they are not apt to cooperate very well!" I ranted when suddenly, a trail of girls in glimmering dresses burst out of a room. Their giggles were echoing through the hall as their small feet ran down the corridor almost knocking us out of the way.

"Thank you, Bhai." giggling like any 5 year old does, the girls disappeared around the corner.

"Be careful!" a voice fretted out from the ajar room.

Looking at the stupified face of my best friend, I was sure I had the same look. So the next thing which happened are as followed-

I ran. I ran down the hall to that open door as if it was going away.

As if the train was leaving the station and I will be all alone at the platform.

I ran as my friend might have cheered me from the back.

I ran as my hair started to slip out of the low bun.

I ran as my feet started to hurt a little in the high heels.

I ran as the trail of my saree waved in the air.

I finally stopped as I pushed the door open, the creaking echoing through the hall.

"Samreen?" 

Glossary:

1. Saree- a garment consisting of a length of cotton or silk elaborately draped around the body, traditionally worn by women from South Asia

2. Dulhe-wale- Groom's side

3. Anarkali- A dress-like garment that consists of a long frock style top that creates a flattering flowing silhouette

4. Bhai- Brother