What Are Friends For?

A/N: This is where I try to add in canon moments from the show while also taking my own liberties with them. So, some things might seem familiar and some moments might not work with the timeline, but I am trying to keep it in line with the show as best as I can. Enjoy! Leave some comments/reviews please!

_______________________________________________

It was night two of the stay in Guantanamo Bay as Tony lay awake on his pillow, staring up at the ceiling, his thoughts only on Paula Cassidy, the agent he just met who had been stationed in Cuba. He hated that Gibbs made him search her apartment. It made him feel lousy. Especially since he trusted her. He knew in his mind that that sounded silly considering he had just met her. But there was something about her. Something he saw in her that night as they danced and flirted at the bar that Gibbs told him to go to to find her. He really expected to find some double agent or some slimy female spy, but instead, he found Paula to be loyal and fun and charming. And she truly didn't seem like a double crosser to him. Perhaps he was just that terrible at reading women, but everything Paula said seemed genuine to him and he felt like a bug that deserved to be crushed under her heel once Gibbs chose him over Kate to go through Paula's personal stuff that night.

He let out a sigh before he heard a ding come from his cell phone on the nightstand beside his bed. He turned his head to look at it before picking it up to read the text he had gotten from Abby.

"How's it going?" She asked him with a semi-colon followed by a parenthesis symbol to indicate a winking smiley face.

"Lousy." Was all he sent back.

"Uh oh. What's wrong?"

Tony proceeded to tell her the situation about Paula and how he wasn't even thinking about Kate right now, because he was sure that Paula was a better match for him, but he was pretty sure that he had no chance now after the way things went tonight and he hated feeling suspicious of Paula when they found out that their victim had a copy of her apartment key. He then went on to explain to Abby that he woke up next to a "blood-thirsty" Iguana and that Cuba was swimming with them.

Abby laughed as she read his texts about the iguana and she used her random knowledge of such things to try and explain to Tony how to keep iguana away from his room. Tony then told her that he would NOT be getting garlic spray to spray his bed.

Before Tony could text her back, his cell phone rang and he answered it. "Hey, Abs."

"Hey, why don't you try apologizing to her?" Abby said on the other end.

"To the iguana? I don't know if it was even a girl-"

"No, Tony. Not the Iguana. The agent. Paula Cassidy or whatever her name is. Apologize to her and just let her know that you're just doing your job and following orders. She's an agent too. I'm sure she'll understand." Abby tried to convince him.

"It doesn't matter, Abby. It'll never work anyway. She's stationed all the way out here and-"

"I swear to god, Tony Dinozzo, if you mention Rule 12..."

"No, no. I wasn't gonna. I was just gonna say that...she's too good for me anyway." He admitted, suddenly wondering why he said that out loud to her.

"What makes you think that?" Abby genuinely wondered.

"Just a vibe I get. Doesn't matter. Whatcha doing?" He asked her to change the subject. "What time is it there anyway?"

"We're in the same time zone, Tony." Abby held back a laugh.

"Oh. Right." He looked at his clock which read that it was almost 2 AM. "Shit. Why am I still awake?"

"Because sleep is for the weak." Abby joked.