Chapter Fourteen: No Escape

Reid had sensed it before seeing Kincaid.

The feelings were intense, bold, uncomfortable, and utterly furious. Reid felt them all. It made his stomach quiver and hands shake.

For a moment, he worried Kincaid would come bursting in like before, force him to do something unspeakable. It was something he had feared would become a habit after the last time. Except, after a few minutes, there was no impromptu interruption for his meal. A meal he had finally managed to swallow fearing what Kincaid would do if he did not.

What was it that had enraged him?

Reid was sure if he had been the cause, he would find out soon enough. It would be best to make sure he finished his meal so as not to give the Dragon anything else to punish him for. If he kept his thoughts from what he witnessed, maybe he could get through it.

No. He would get through it. He had to keep his strength up and somehow get Kincaid to loosen the leash on him. As indifferent as he was, Kincaid didn't seem like he was unreasonable. At least, Reid really hoped he was accurate in that observation.

Reid had just finished his meal when the door to the room opened. He flinched, thinking it would be Kincaid, but it was a group of servants in their strange white masks. Again, they roughly yanked him up and over to the bathroom where he was washed, buffed, and polished. He was really getting tired of this treatment when he was perfectly adequate at handling these tasks on his own if they would just unchain him.

The only thing keeping him from rebelling against it all was the curiosity. What was it now? Surely there was some sort of event he was being forced to attend, especially with the care they took in his appearance this time around. His skin glistened with a scented oil infused with Gemma Crystal dust that seemed to make him quite literally sparkle. His hair was braided along the crown, leaving his curls a perfect halo on top. Jewels were intertwined within the braids and they even painted around his eyes. It wasn't quite makeup, but some sort of ritualistic paint.

When they dressed him in a spectacularly lavish white outfit out of some lewd fantasy story, suspicion curled in his gut.

They weren't taking him to another one of those Layings were they? He would not be able to stomach seeing the carnage again.

A thick golden collar was placed around his wrist with a goddamn leash attached.

They pulled him around like a fucking dog.

He quietly seethed at the obvious disregard for him as a person. Clearly the dress up was not another freedom. There was no freedom for an object owned by another.

When Kincaid finally did arrive in the room, the fury had been quelled, but for once, Reid saw the distress. The tenseness in the male's broad shoulders, the pinched skin between his brows, the tightness around his eyes, and the firm set of his jaw.

The servant that held the end of his leash passed it to Kincaid with a bow before the group of servants quickly exited the room.

Knowing it was probably foolish to do so, especially when it was clear the alien was in a foul mood, Reid spoke up.

"What's going on?"

Kincaid looked at Reid intensely. Reid took a cautious step back, though it wasn't as if he could get away. Kincaid quite literally held his leash.

The Naerian tracked the movement before sighing. What seemed like the weight of the world lowered the male's shoulders. The bond twinged with a hint of what felt like defeat.