Chapter Eleven: Glass Revelations

Reid was on guard.

Anyone would be after the sudden shift in Kincaid's behavior. At first, he assumed the Naerian was on to him, that he had somehow discovered the connection between Gabe and himself. Were they not discreet enough? Had he not hidden his shock and recognition well enough? All of the anxieties drove him insane over the past couple of days.

Somehow though, he doubted it. It would be entirely foolish to accept this new behavior at face value, and yet, Reid could not ascertain any nefarious intentions behind it.

Kincaid had begun spending more times in the room Reid occupied. It started with him coming into the room late at night and curling into the mass of pillows that was their bed. He did not touch Reid during the night, just slept beside him. It had terrified the human so thoroughly, he did not get a wink of sleep.

Then he began bringing a chair in the room in the morning to have what looked like tea as he watched the news on his hologlass.

Whenever Reid's anxiety would spike, those golden eyes would flicker up at him, before settling back on what he was doing.

Reid tried reaching out to that odd connection between them, trying to read the Dragon in a discreet way, but he only sensed calm.

Whenever Gabe came to visit, Kincaid stayed, in his chair, sipping his tea, ignoring them both. With him there, Reid could not ask for any updates on the Rebellion or his mother. He couldn't even ask for advice concerning this new shift. When Gabe had left, Reid felt restless. He was never alone. It was starting to grate on him.

This is what you wanted, isn't it? An opportunity to get close.

With a deep breath, Reid finally made his move. He could not endear himself to the Dragon if he did not talk to him. He needed to find out more about him, confirm whether or not Gabe's suspicions were true and he was in fact General of the Naerian army and brother to the King.

"Emkii?"

Kincaid's eyes flicked up, fixing on him. The slitted pupils dilated slightly before narrowing into slits. All focus on Reid, making him swallow uncomfortably.

"May I...approach?" he asked.

Kincaid's head tilted with that predatory grace before he gave a small nod.

Reid stretched off the bed, chain jingling quietly as he made his way over to where the Naerian sat. The little set up had been expanded. What started as a chair became two and a table. The second chair was for Lord Pelryn who visited now on occasion with Gabe.

Hesitating for a brief moment, Reid slid into the empty chair all the while Kincaid watched him, cool indifference still on his face. It was eerie the way he watched Reid, from the corner of his eye but Reid tried not to let it bother him.

They sat in silence, Kincaid finally returning his attention back to his hologlass where it looked like he was reading something. Reid tried to glance at it, but it was purposefully angled in a way where he couldn't see.

This was awkward. He hadn't thought far ahead in what to say or how to proceed in his plan, only that he wanted to get closer...somehow.

"Emkii?"

No response. Not a flicker of the eyes or the tilt of his head.

Asshole.

"Kincaid-emkii?"

Kincaid released a breath through his nostrils which slightly flared in annoyance before he looked up at Reid.