025. I've Got You, Laine.

Start from the beginning

I'd come to see him and Robin at Family Video, because I needed some advice to get me out of the hole I'd thrown myself down.

"Okay, can I just say that I didn't mean to screw it up?" I said, huffing slightly.

"What did you do?" Robin asked, vehemently.

"We were fooling around..... and what she did was absolutely working, oh my god...." I said, disappearing into my mind for a moment.

"Spare us the gory details." Robin said, grossed out.

"Okay, so how did that go wrong?" Steve asked.

"Because Harrington..... it was working a little too well, and I may have sort of.... Told her it wasn't working for me..." I said, as Steve eyed me with a fatherly expression on his face.

"You did not blame her for the fact that you thought you'd potentially you know.... early." He said, shocked.

"Oh god.... I did...." I said, burying my face into my hands.

"Munson, that's not right!" Robin cried.

"I know." I said, from somewhere in my hands.

"That poor girl." Robin said, sighing deeply.

"She's really nice. And now she thinks I'm just another asshole." I said, as Robin looked at me incredulously.

"Because you were an asshole to her." Steve said.

"I know Harrington, I flaked out and made out like it wasn't working for me." I said, already aware.

"It was though, wasn't it?" He asked.

"Absolutely, I've said it was, like twice now." I said, as though it was obvious.

"I just needed to hear you say it, and also hear that you're hearing yourself." Steve said.

"I got it." I answered, flatly.

"What are you going to do?" Robin asked, scanning videos in on the computer idly.

"No idea. That's why I'm here." I said.

"The only advice I can give you, is that you put her straight." Steve said.

"She won't want to talk to me. I did more or less insult her. And she was offended." I said.

"Can't say I'm surprised." Robin said, airily, with wide eyes.

"No neither am I." I said, sternly.

"You need to talk to her. You need to tell her the truth. It happens to the best of us." Steve said.

I stared at him with mild disdain and reluctance and the fatherly expression returned.

"Don't look at me like that. She was obviously doing something that worked for you, and perhaps worked a little too well. But that's not her fault. I don't want to sound crude..... but she's obviously experienced and good at what she does." Steve said.

"You're right, that did sound crude." Robin said, shifting uncomfortably as he glanced at her.

"Sorry." Steve said, before turning back to me.

"But. The onus is on you for not admitting that. You didn't perhaps think that might have been good for her to hear?" Steve continued.

"Yeah, instead of practically bashing her for what she was doing?" Robin asked.

"Maybe you could have just told her the truth and said you maybe wanted to slow it down so you didn't peak earlier than you wanted to?" Steve suggested.