Chapter Twenty-Three

Time is unknown in the dark.

Three hours could feel like three minutes, and a day could feel like an eternity. It was torturous. The steel table was hard against my back and I couldn't sleep. I couldn't see or hear. And I couldn't move anything but my head.

The only thing they couldn't restrain were my thoughts.

In my mind, I was free and whole, and most of all, I was never caught or brought to this place. I was at home with my brother who was forever gone. I told him it was my fault for noticing his sickness sooner. I told him it was my fault he died. It was hard living with the mistakes I made, but I couldn't deny any of them. I was far from perfect.

The only thing bringing me any comfort was my arm no longer hurt. If I didn't think about it, it was like it never happened. It scared me.

After what seemed hours later, I heard something. The sound brought me back to the time when I was first caught, when I was waiting for them to come for me. Same sound, different place.

Click. My heart rate was picking up speed again.

Click. I took a deep breath, but it didn't seem to help.

Click. I pulled at my restraints in one last feeble attempt. It was useless.

The door opened and bathed me in light. Two Scrappers stood in the doorway but only one came forward. His leg clicked every step of the way, and it made me cringe as he got closer. He stopped near my left side, next to my arm.

"It seems you have survived."

I breathed heavily. "What do you care? You've done what you wanted."

"It matters for the next step of our studies. All we need now is the other human you were traveling with."

Jude.

"You'll never learn anything," I said. He trained his black eyes on mine. "You're just a scrap of metal that can't feel anything."

"Nothing you say is going to change our minds."

I couldn't hold his gaze any longer. When he started to unstrap my legs, I held in my tears and stared at the ceiling. He made his way up my body until only my arms were left bound. He first freed my real arm and pulled out a pair of handcuffs, clicking one of them in place around my wrist. He was acting like I was something dangerous. Like I was a threat.

The Scrapper near the door finally came closer and held down my left arm while his partner unstrapped the final pieces of leather. I would have fought if I had the strength. But my body was beyond weak. I couldn't remember the last time I had eaten.

He clicked the final cuff around my left wrist and it clanged against the metal, sending an instant shiver down my neck.

When my hands were secure in front of me, they allowed me to slide off the table and onto my feet. My knees buckled under my weight, but I managed to stay upright. They started walking with me between them, their hands clung around my arms. Tighter than manacles. The hallway was just as dingy. I wondered if they liked the dim environment rather than clean, bright rooms. Maybe it was because of their black eyes that made them like darker places, even though they seemed to have no problems with going outside.

I had nothing to lose from asking them.

"Why is it so dark in here?" Neither acknowledged I had spoken in any way.

Then, "It is more comfortable."

My eyes trailed to the one who had spoken. His silver eye reminded me of the Scrapper, Allur. "Does it hurt when you go outside?"