Chapter 37 ♠️ Untrustworthy Sources

Start from the beginning

Of course, this meant he would curse the lightners' world, but did he really have the morality to care? Didn't they cast them aside, imprisoning them in this dark world? While yes, the possibility regarding that they have perhaps changed existed, he couldn't afford thinking about them right now. It could also end up in a nightmare, Gaster getting the info and then not fulfilling his side of the deal, destroying an entire civilization in the process.

It was dangerous, far too dangerous, Jevil knew, and he was sure that if you or Seam were there, you would never let him go through with it; but you weren't there, and despite knowing exactly what your would say and that you were in the right, he was not going to listen. So he settled with that plan. First of all he had to make sure Gaster was in fact disposing of zero articles regarding the lighteners, so he headed to the castle's archive.

A massive room, similar to a library, but instead of having shelves filled with books, they had ring binders, folders and just papers messily stapled together. But judging by the clean footsteps marks on the dust covered ladder, Gaster had already been here, he just had to see if he looked in the right places, since the organization was also messed up. It wasn't alphabetical, chronological or simply by the author of said documents, everything was mixed up and scrambled around. This thought got a small laugh out of Jevil, imagining Gaster's annoyance upon figuring this out.

Unlike Gaster though, Jevil had worked in this castle for quite too many years, and he knew where everything was, amazingly, even Rouxls barely managed to navigate through the maze, Jevil loved showing off he knew the place better than Rouxls. It eventually got him banned from the archives, not that he ever paid attention to the fact that he was banned, but the prohibition was there.

And so, he went to check the archives that held, or at least used to, lighteners' info. As he went over the documents in an alphabet he could read at a normal speed and not the one of a newborn, he concluded that there was in fact no info on how to connect the darkners' and lighteners' worlds, which was weird to be honest, how could such an important information only be accessible through people's memory and not be written down?

Whatever, it benefited him, so he shouldn't complain, he should just be grateful for this kingdom's horrible management. In this situation at least, it was quite annoying in the long run.

He sneakily made his way out of the archives and walked around the castle trying to look for Gaster, listening for any noises and watching out for any weird sights. He wasn't really sure what to say, but it's not like he could predict the outcome of any dialogue between the two of them, their realities truly clashed. 

After some time, when Jevil exited an elevator, he heard the scattering of footsteps nearby. He waited for Gaster to make himself visible and he hid himself in the process, hoping to at least get a scare out of him, if not an annoyed sigh. Soon enough, the scientist was in plain sight, along with his extra set of hands. Jevil didn't expect the hands to actually be a part of him so his manner shifted into a confused one, he thought it might've been a consequence to the deformation he went through, but apparently not.

Jevil smiled playfully, he grabbed the bells in his hat to keep them from making noise and followed behind him sneakily. Gaster seemed occupied, always typing in those mysterious screens in that confusing language; thankfully, he stopped after some while, making Jevil take his chance. 

He stopped at a fair distance and unclutched his bells before briefly shaking his head, getting a startled response from the man in front of him: a quick turn of his head to face the source, the screen nearly collapsing on itself, filled with the result of Gaster's hands slipping and the extra set of those stopping their tasks abruptly. "Boo, boo" The jester smiled, getting a grumble out of Gaster.