"Excuse me, dear, can I help you? I couldn't help but notice you following my son?" His mother looked Ella up and down, her mouth turned up as if she'd ate a wasp. Her posh British accent intimidating. Everything about her was perfect, from her dark blue suit to her wrinkle-free skin and manicured nails.

"Err well actually-." 

"Mother, stop. She is with me," Leonardo warned, looking furious.

"Leonardo. These two wonderful girls have flown here all the way from London to see you, and you bring her?"

"I work for him," Ella said, trying to bite her tongue.

"Oh, I know your sort, honey. My son's latest bed warmer, I've no doubt," she turned to Leonardo. "I hope you're using protection with her. I don't want you to get trapped by some gold-digger."

Before his mother carried on, Ella stormed out of the restaurant. Rushing down the street, turning a few times, and sitting on a bench. She hated confrontation, and she shouldn't have had to deal with a woman talk to her like dirt. If she had stayed, she knew she would have said something to Leonardo's mom that would have cost her this job. 

Leonardo hadn't come looking for her or perhaps didn't know where to look. She didn't even know where she was. Thanks to her phone, Ella managed to find where to get on and off the bus.

 It turned out to be relatively straightforward, even though she didn't know the city. She noticed the receptionist had changed today and was relieved when the new woman greeted her with a smile. She explained she had no key to her room, and the woman thankfully contacted Leonardo, who said to let her up. One thing Ella did not expect was for him to be angry with her.

"Where were you? Do you not understand how worried I was?" He asked.

Ella noticed his shirt unbuttoned, and his sleeves were rolled up. He looked stressed.

"You cannot just run off down the street! I looked everywhere!"

Was he serious? It was his mother's fault that Ella stormed off.

"Well, after the way your mother spoke to me in front of everybody in that restaurant, I think I had every right to leave!" She tried not to cry of anger, but she could feel her eyes welling up.

He stood there, brushing his hand through his thick hair, and sighed. "I know the way my mother spoke to you was out of order, but you shouldn't have left on your own. I was going to forget lunch and leave if you hadn't overreacted." 

She didn't think she'd overreacted at all. If anything, she felt she did well not to say anything back to Leonardo's mother. "I don't care, Mr. Russo. I will do any job required of me, but I will not stand there while some woman I've never met humiliates me, whether that be your mother or not!" Ella shouted back, throwing her coat on the chair.

"I told you my mother was having a party tomorrow. She wanted me to pick a date today. Somebody from a wealthy family and fits in with her social circle. She is all about image and public appearance. I refused to take any of those women. I want you to come with me. Be my date."

His hands rested on her shoulders as he spoke.

"Partying isn't my thing," Ella replied. It would cause more problems than it was worth. And she certainly did not want to think of it as a date. 

"Please, Ella. I will feel terrible that I am attending a party while you are here all alone. Come on," he pleaded, bending down to her level to catch her eyes.

"A date? I don't know if that's a good idea, Mr. Russo...." 

"Ok, not a date. I'll give you a bonus. Think of it as overtime for work."

"Fine, I don't expect a bonus, but I will come," she sighed.

As she tried to step around him, he grabbed her waist and pulled her into his solid chest. His bare skin was warm on her cheek as he embraced her. 

"Thank you."

He leaned back but not enough to let her go as he brushed a hand through her hair. Their eyes met as he bent down. His lips were about to touch hers when his phone started ringing.

Ella let out a deep breath she didn't know she was holding before pulling away. Leonardo swore, taking his phone out of his pocket to make the call. Ella took the opportunity to escape to her bedroom.

Why did this keep happening? How did she forget everything else when she was in his arms?

Agreeing to go to the party was a stupid idea, but it was too late to back out now.

After taking her makeup, Ella went to find the room service menu. Leonardo wasn't in there. She hoped he had gone out.

"Ordering without me? How rude of you," he said, leaning against the door frame.

"Sorry, I thought you'd be out."

"Let me have a look," he grabbed the menu, and he decided to order a range of foods to share. 

She turned on the Television and scrolled through the channels. Everything was in Italian besides the news channels.

"Do you understand Italian?" He knew she didn't speak a word of it. "It's a smart TV. I will find something to watch on a streaming service."

The food was delicious, and they both sat on the couch, legs up, enjoying the movie. At some point, Ella must have drifted off to sleep.

"Ella?" She didn't want to open her eyes, "Ella, you're on the couch."

Ella struggled to open her eyes as she felt his arms beneath her as he scooped her up, and she drifted back off to sleep.

"Goodnight, Ella," Leonardo whispered as he kissed her gently on the forehead and placed her on the bed, wrapping the duvet around her.