Chapter Sixteen

"What? There is no way we are sharing a bed!" She gasped, staring at him.

"Don't get your hopes up. There are two bedrooms," Leonardo replied, smiling.

As the elevator doors opened, they stepped into the suite. Everything from the large sofas to the gold curtains, Ella thought it looked like a mini palace. Double doors led out to a balcony, and Ella thought it was a shame they'd came when the weather was still cold.

"We have one hour. You can pick your room. I will be waiting in here for you before we need to leave."

Leonardo walked away, busy typing on his phone again. Ella wondered if there was ever a moment his work didn't consume him or if it was something else keeping him hooked on his phone. She knew that, like her, Leonardo didn't have social media. 

Forgetting about whatever he was doing, Ella found her bedroom. It was just as impressive as the rest of the suite, with a golden king-size bed and gold furniture and silky white and gold bedding to match. The view from the window was fantastic, overlooking the river and Castel Sant'Angelo. 

She had a private bathroom and a walk-in closet. After quickly washing, she changed into a red dress and matching heels before rapidly putting her wet hair up and applying some much-needed lipstick and mascara. Leonardo didn't speak to her until they stepped outside into a flashy sports car.

"Did you hire this car?" She asked, trying to break the silence.

"No, I come here frequently. My father was Italian, and I have family here too." 

"My dad's best friend was Italian too. I haven't seen him since my father died."

She thought back to when she was a kid when her dad used to bring his friend around. Smiling, she remembered his tall, gangly son. He had the same dark hair and skin as Leonardo. But she guessed that was a trait a lot of Italians had. 

"Is something funny," he said, raising his eyebrows but smiling, "You look beautiful when you smile like that."

Ella felt her face flame up and was relieved when he looked away. Coughing awkwardly, she tried to change the conversation. 

"So, how long will the meetings take today?"

"We have three meetings, which should take no more than two hours," he paused before continuing, "Then we will be going for food with my mother," he explained as he sped through the traffic.

"Your mother? Can't you drop me back at the hotel first?"

"No, I do not wish to be late."

He pulled outside of another hotel and headed inside. After an hour of taking notes at Leonardo's meetings, it was time to wrap up. Ella hoped they would last longer, so she didn't have to meet his mother. She hoped the woman was like Diana.

Leonardo didn't speak until they'd parked outside a classy restaurant. She did not want to go inside.

"Don't worry. It's just dinner."

His smile was tense as they stepped inside. She didn't find the fact he was uncomfortable very reassuring. As they entered the restaurant, a short brunette woman walked toward Leonardo, her arms open.

"Leonardo! Darling, I'm so glad you are here," she kissed him on either cheek and grinned at Leonardo, "the girls will be so pleased when they see you here," Ella stood awkwardly. Still, his mother didn't even glance at her as she led Leonardo to the table.

He turned to Ella and nodded in the direction the woman was walking, so she followed. Sitting down at the table were two beautiful women. Ella assumed they were wealthy, all in jewelry with stunning dresses and designer handbags. They squealed and rushed to say hello to Leonardo, as desperate as every other female she'd seen with him. Leonardo seemed irritated as they surrounded him, trying to outdo the other for attention. 

Loving LeonardoOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara