Chapter Two

Monday came around, and Ella was up before dawn to prepare for the day ahead. She pulled her long golden hair up and looked in the mirror. She wouldn't usually bother with makeup, knowing it was a waste of time for work, but the bruise was still apparent around her eye.

It looked like she'd been punched in the face, and she knew how unprofessional that would seem. She quickly rubbed some foundation on it and hoped it would do the trick. Unfortunately, it was a dark morning, and the walk to the business district in the city was longer than Ella had anticipated. She would have to consider getting a bus pass in the future.

Ella stopped to stare at the crazy-sized glass building dominating the city's skyline. Unbelievable. She couldn't believe she'd be working here. The entire lobby was created with glass and steel, from the walls to doors and even the stairways. The reception was easy to spot, a big white glossy island in the middle of the ground floor. She took a deep breath and went toward the three glamorous receptionists.

Their hair and makeup were pristine, and all wearing tightly fitted white dresses. Ella felt out of place, especially when the first receptionist looked her up and down with an expression of disgust.

"Hello, my name's Ella Quinn, and I'm here for my first day as a cleaner?" She placed the documents on the desk, pushing them across for the red-haired receptionist to take. Ella smiled politely, which was a waste of time as the receptionist was still glaring at her.

"These should have been sent to HR," the woman remarked, frowning as she took the documents.

"I only received them a couple of days ago. Mrs. Jones told me to give them to the reception," Ella explained.

The woman began typing on her computer and then nodded at something on the screen.

"Ah, I see. You were hired to cover floors 10-13. However, you've been placed on the top floor today. Hmm, that's unusual."

Looking up at Ella, the woman frowned, apparently expecting Ella to say something. When Ella didn't speak, the woman looked back at the computer.

"Diana hired you. Do you know her or something?" At her interview, Ella had met Diana, a bubbly woman in her 40s, and hadn't spoken to her since.

Ella shook her head from side to side, worried that the woman had made a mistake and she was going to be sent home without a job.

"Did you sign the confidentiality form?"

Nodding again, Ella watched the woman scan a key card over a device and pass it to her along with another card.

"Keep this card on you at all times and scan it here at reception to sign in and out. You need to hand this one back at the end of every day. It will grant you access to the top floor, do not lose it or give it to anyone else. There should be a list of instructions when you get up there, and here's a guide for the building. I'd show you myself. However, I'm busy."

The redhead dropped the guide on the desk, turning straight to her computer screen.

Ella said thank you and headed to the glass elevator. She heard faint giggling and turned to see the receptionists looking over at her. It was apparent they were laughing at her expense. Ella hoped she wouldn't have to speak to them often.

It was a long wait in the elevator, and she finally made it to the top floor. She scanned the key card, and the doors opened. Ella had no fear of heights, but the glass wall to her left looked over the entire city and was all that stood between her and a sheer drop to the pavement. Scanning her key over a black pad on the wall opened the door to her right. It led to a fully stocked kitchen with a small closet with cleaning equipment inside. On the black granite surface, she found a note and instructions.