Chapter Twelve

How had she been so stupid? She felt mortified that she'd been in his arms just seconds before, that her body was telling her to climb back on top of him and let him do whatever he wanted.

Then, turning around, she ran her fingers over her swollen lips, still sensitive from his kisses.

"Surely you didn't think this was..." Leonardo said, standing behind her, his hand reaching out and resting on her shoulder.

Why did she want to cry? She stepped away from him and held her head high as she took a deep breath, wishing he would leave.

"Ella, I didn't mean for you to get the wrong idea. I thought we were on the same page," he explained, making her feel even more ashamed about her actions.

"I do not want a relationship. It's not you. I never have, nor will I ever," Leonardo said sympathetically. Worse, he was giving her the 'it's not you; it's me' line.

"I never said I wanted to be in a relationship with you. However, I am not entirely naive, and I am well aware of who you are. Perhaps you should leave," Ella told him as she walked to the door and opened it. Leonardo watched her, frowning as he looked around the room.

"I think you're right."

He picked up his jacket and walked to stand by the door. His brown eyes were looking into hers as he let out a sigh.

"Please, leave."

Refusing to look at him, she moved her head away when his hand reached out to touch her.

"You've said enough," she said.

"It would be a shame to part tonight on a bitter note because of one kiss. How about-"

A knock interrupted them, and Ella was about to walk over and answer it when Leonardo shouted over her.

"Come in!"

Ella frowned as she looked over at Leonardo. He may have been her boss, but they were in her home.

"Here is the food you requested, Mr. Russo," Rupert said from in the doorway, holding out a paper bag.

"You didn't need to bring it up here with you, Rupert, Mr. Russo is taking it home with him."

Leonardo took the bag from Rupert and nodded at the driver to leave. Confident that he would be able to persuade Ella to let him stay.

"I want to forget this ever happened. Please go," Ella asked again, biting the inside of her mouth as she felt his eyes on her.

"Fine, I will go. You can forget this ever happened, but I won't be able to. Remember to lock your door." Finally, he left, and Ella wiped the dampness that had fallen from her eyes.

Her emotions had gotten the better of her, and she felt like an idiot. It wasn't that she had expected a relationship or anything more with Leonardo. She would never have acted on her dreams about him if he hadn't told her he'd been thinking about her too. What upset her was how easy it had been for him to seduce her and how willing she was to kiss him without any plans of a future. If she got with a man, she wanted it to mean as much to them as it did to her. For the man to love her.

Lola had shown Ella the articles about Leonardo, the headlines calling him a notorious playboy, telling of the countless hearts he'd broken. No wonder he didn't want to be committed to one woman when an unlimited amount of experienced beautiful women were willing to share his bed. He wanted her now, and he'd admitted that. But what after they made love? Would he grow bored with her and force her out of her job? No, she knew he wouldn't fire her. He'd probably easily slip back into a working relationship while she was left in love with him and alone.

After calling Sean to make sure he was okay, she lay in bed thinking about what had happened and how she could face going back to work. Hearing her phone vibrate, she picked it up, knowing who it would be.

My driver will be at yours at 5:30 am. I have plans tonight, so I will arrive at the office late. I have emailed you tasks for tomorrow, and there will be a laptop for you on the desk - Leonardo

Why did it bother her that he had plans? Had he found a woman who was happy to what she hadn't? 

Ok. – Ella

She wanted to break the stupid phone. She shouldn't have bothered replying. As she tormented herself with images of Leonardo and a faceless woman, she received another message.

I can't stop thinking about today – Leonardo

Biting her lip, Ella hit her head back into her pillow. Why did he have to say it! She typed, then backspaced and thought about what to say.

It was a bad idea. – Ella

He replied within seconds.

The only bad idea was stopping, but I understand your reasons. - Leonardo

Ella read his message repeatedly, glad to know what they had shared was tormenting him as much as it was her. And if he was thinking about her, maybe that meant he wasn't on a date.