𝙭𝙡𝙫. unforgivable

( CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE: UNFORGIVABLE )November, 1993

November, 1993

❝ I know you're in pain.

Devon's hands were shaking. He couldn't seem to control the nerves in fingers, and the numbness felt strange. Devon sat on the front porch, stricken brown eyes raging with fury, trying to decipher what just happened a few minutes ago. It all went down so fast, it was almost as if it was a dream. Scratch that, a nightmare.

Devon remembered the moment Janet told him. He remembered the dreaded words leaving her lips, and the second he heard it, it was like his entire world came crashing down. Arkell's coach was molesting him. He was hurting him, and the worst part was, Devon had no fucking idea.

So, when the surprise settled, the next thing that Devon felt was a blinding rage. And that's when he blacked out. The dancer didn't remember much of the next ten minutes, but what he did remember, was that he caused a lot of damage. Fists went flying, blood was drawn, and in a split second, Devon's cool, calm demeanour transformed into a bloodcurdling wrath.

Apparently, Devon stormed up to coach Brown and suddenly started wailing punches on him senselessly. His uncle and mother tried to pull him off the man, but Devon wouldn't budge. It wasn't until the neighbours got involved, that Devon was forcefully pried away from the man. But by then, it was too late.

Coach Brown was knocked out, and Devon's hate had trapped him a daze. Now, he sat on the front porch, staring into space, not even tuned into the chaos that surrounded him. His mother was crying, the neighbours were horrified, and his uncle was simply speechless. There was a lot going on, and yet Devon focussed on his hands, because like he said, they kept on shaking.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" His mother's scream tore Devon out of his silent funk. The dancer looked up, seeing the woman crouching beside coach Brown's unconscious figure, dapping away at his wounds. Thankfully, the few punches that Devon did land on him barely drew any blood. It only left some very nasty scars, but if Devon hadn't been separated from the man, the injuries would've been a lot more gruesome.

"Hold on Pamela, I'm sure Devon has a reasonable explanation for all this—" Devon's uncle tried to butt in, as always, being the voice of reason amongst the chaos. But, even he was very baffled by Devon's behaviour.

"Reasonable?!" The woman thundered, her face cut up in horror, "He beat him up, Christopher! L-Like some thug!"

That's when Devon felt his anger returning. She had no idea that this entire clusterfuck was mainly due to her selfishness. She had no idea about the evilness that she brought into their home. Into Arkell's home. So, Devon didn't bother to hide it. "Do you know what that man does to your son?" Devon growled, the first time he spoke ever since his violent outburst. Everyone looked in his direction, startled by the sound of his gruff tone.