𝙭𝙭𝙭. break you off

( CHAPTER THIRTY: BREAK YOU OFF )September, 1990

September, 1990

❝ so that's it? you're just gonna give up? ❞

Devon angrily stuffed his bag with unfolded pieces of clothing. The male stormed through his hotel room, vigorously pulling open the draws and retrieving his belongings, the anger in his movements almost breaking apart the furniture. Devon might've been overcome with too much rage to think rationally, but the male was extremely sure about one thing: he had to leave, now.

Nothing else seemed like the right option at this point, and the young man didn't see a good reason to stay. Everyone made it clear that his presence was unwelcome, and he didn't want to stay around to see how his pain would evolve. So, Devon Emmet rushed back to his room and started to pack his bags, knowing that the only solution was to go far away, and stay far away.

So, as Devon tucked away the deepest, darkest, most painful thoughts in the back of his mind, he tried to distract himself by gathering his things so that he could rush to the airport and board the next flight to New York. Some part of himself liked to believe he'd find solace going back home, but he knew he'd feel incredibly incomplete knowing that his biggest dream ended in shambles.

In the midst of Devon's thoughts, the door to his room suddenly bursted open. As the young male looked up, he saw an infuriated Tina entering the room with an enormous amount of confusion and concern etched in her eyes. "What the hell do you think you're going!?" She thundered, stomping forward to snatch his suitcase away from his reach.

Devon shot her a deadly glare, being sure to retrieve his bag instead of arguing with her. "Home," the dancer bluntly said, giving her a grave stare. Tina's frown deepened at his words, the female immediately jumping in front of him so that he could explain himself more. "What?" She barked, "We still have one last show to do!"

"Well I'm not going to be here for it," Devon answered, not yet looking at the female in the eyes. He feared that if he made eye contact with another human being, his gaze would just melt into a never-ending waterfall. "What's going on?" She asked, forcefully grabbing his arm and forcing him to open up to her.

Devon's eyes were glued to his feet, clenched jaw flickering with hate as the dark thoughts that he pushed in the deepest corner of his brain started to painfully resurface. Then, with as much strength as he could muster, Devon looked up, his watery gaze looking up at Tina before he said he next words. "You were right," the male said in a shaky tone, which caught Tina off-guard, "I should've stayed away."

His words—despite being incredibly vague—caught Tina's attention. Her shoulders slummed, and as she looked up at Devon's quivering bottom lip and dwindling brown eyes, she knew what he meant. "She chose Rene," Devon added, swallowing down the knot that was webbed in his throat. "I thought we had somethin'," the young man quietly continued, his wounded voice tearing Tina's heart in two, "I don't know what the fuck I was thinking."