Regulus, who appeared calm while speaking, frowned. The air around him felt murderous. The way he flipped from seemingly harmless to obviously deadly and dangerous was a strange sight to behold.

Regulus: I have thought over this many, many times. Just why do some people lack the courtesy to understand what someone rational says? Well, I personally believe that some people just don't care enough to understand other people. You keep saying the same thing, over and over again and the other party won't even consider your point of view. It is rather unfortunate or perhaps even blaspehemy, but I suppose in situations like this, one can only respond with violance, right? If you hit someone unprovoked, then the other party should be perfectly within their rights to strike back. While I'm not exactly an individual that would outright strike back the moment someone hit me, I prefer to at the very least understand and give the other party a chance to apologize before resorting to violance myself. However, that would require the other party to have some form of empathy, which you clearly lack. So while it may be unfortunate for me, I'll need to stike back. That's just how it is.

Iris was staring at Regulus, sure. But it was obvious that she wasn't really listening and just looked like a lost puppy that didn't understand a word of what Regulus was even saying to her.

A grim smile appeared on Regulus's face, there wasn't any hint of friendliness behind it.

It was still unknown as to how Regulus managed to defend himself against Iris's attacks. Even worse, Subaru knew that Regulus had at the very least some fighting capability due to somehow killing the cultists that had tried to kill Emilia.

It may be just the beginning of the fight, but Subaru knew that if this went on, Iris would eventually lose and die.

Even now, fear was spreading all over the Subaru’s body.

His slack knees trembled so much that even breathing became an abnormal act. But, even in this case.

Beatrice: Subaru.

In his ear, a weak, unreliable voice echoed.

Although the owner obviously could not hide her trembling fear, her warm voice still spoke up from behind him. Rely on me -- it was conveying a message something like that.

Iris gave a passing glance towards them before turning back to face Regulus. Her arms now transformed into a pair of sharp wooden blades. She looked concerned, but seemingly still somehow confident in herself.

Subaru clenched his teeth and staggered to his feet.

He refused to let the child infront of him to completely fight on her own, or rely only on the child on his back. Having said that, he wouldn’t be able to do anything at all without the latter's strength.

Therefore, Subaru refused to struggle alone, but also refused to throw everything to one person. If Subaru had been alone then he would have remained on his knees.

Subaru: Beatrice.

Beatrice: I know, in fact.

With only a single call, Beatrice could fully understand what he needed.

Confirmation with each other was unnecessary. Each of them doing their utmost to accomplish each of their respective responsibilities -- as long they did that, they should arrive at their desired outcome.

Regulus had completely forgotten about them. The Sin Archbishop would focus on killing Iris without even giving him a passing glance.

Therefore, Subaru needed to stop Regulus’s rampage.

Subaru had to attract Regulus’s attention to himself so that Iris had some breathing room and didn't die.

And, above all,