Training

Garfiel is a good sparring partner.

That's really all that Mamoru had to say about Garfiel, he was a really decent sparring partner.

For the last two weeks since the events of the Sanctuary the two had sparred every now and again.

As long as Mamoru didn't use his Authorities, then he could get an actual decent fight with the blond Demi-human, although he quickly noticed that they would usually fight for a while and then Garfiel would demand that Mamoru fights with all of his "bullshit magic" and then their sparring session would come to a close with Mamoru almost humiliating the Demi-human.

Other than that, those sessions were fairly nice.

Still, there was something missing there. Sure, in terms of pure physical strength, speed, etc. They were close to equal. But Mamoru can't truly push himself if he can't even use his Authorities without beating his opponent with ease.

He wanted to be stronger. Not to gain prestige or anything greedy like that. He simply wanted to be stronger to protect his father. Especially since recent events had proven that Mamoru isn't some invincible demi-god that can slap Archbishops, Dragons and Great Mabeasts away as if they're bugs.

Well...Atleast not yet.

Mamoru knows this himself. If he just puts in the effort and masters all of his Authorities including Greed and Gluttony. He'll become the strongest, there was no other outcome in his mind.

He was super-human due to his Mabeast genes, he possesed seven Authorities within his body and was insanely talented as he managed to fight the Archbishop of Gluttony Roy Alphard on equal terms with his Grudgeful Despair, despite the fact that it was his first time using it or any kind of weapon to begin with.

Sure, training with Garfiel helps him physically, but he is of no help when Mamoru attempts to train his Authorities.

In the end, Mamoru decided to try and work on his Authorities a good distance away from the Miload mansion. Especially since not everyone there knows that he's the Witch's child. And seeing him use some strange shadow magic would probably not grant the best impression. While he could use certain Authorities against Garfiel like Sloth, since he wouldn't be able to put two and two together, but even Mamoru didn't dare to show of his Authority of Envy to just anyone. His Shadows of Envy are simply too similar to The Witch of Envy's.

He mostly trained Envy and Sloth as his other Authorities couldn't truly be improved like those two. You can't exactly improve Pride's perfect ability to judge sinners after all.

This kind of training not only helped his control his Unseen Hands and the increase number of them, but it also helped with something else.

It forced him to be creative.

To be precise with his Shadows of Envy.

While in theory, he could summon more shadows than Satella as his are infinite in number...He can only summon them from normal shadows and the strength and amount of them depends on how dark the shadow is and how big it is. In other words his Authority is far more effective in the night as the sun is obviously not present.

But either way he cannot summon enough shadows that can even be considered comparable to Satella. Not even close. Even if it's in the night, he can only summon them from shadows that he himself can see.

So the only way for him to summon enough shadows to compare himself to Satella, he'd have to travel in the night and gather shadows. Which would not only take a long time to do, but also isn't efficient in battle.

So instead he had been forced to be creative, especially if it's daytime.

Rather than throwing all of his shadows at his opponents like the Witch of Envy, he figured out that he could do stuff like make traps, slip small shadows into his opponent's body through their mouth or open would and kill them from the inside along with several other methods.