Chapter Eleven

"How am I supposed to focus like this?" I question

"How am I supposed to focus like this?" I question. Caine's hands hover over mine, his arms hover just above mine and his front is firmly pressed against my back.

"You need to get your mind out of the gutter." Bjorn comments from the peanut gallery. I shoot him a glare. He was all comfortable on the bed, ankles crossed, hand behind his head as he leans back on the headboard.

"Focus." Caines tone is sharp and makes my eyes snap back to the bare wall. "You want to change a human to a demon, you can blunder it but it will make it take longer, and it will be much more painful for him."

Not to mention the chance of killing him if I really fuck shit up. So I focus on the feeling of Caine, the spot on the wall and just opening myself up. There's a whisper of sensation that's hard to describe that rolls over my arm, then down my hand. Caines magic, it appears in front of us as a cloud of thick black smoke, curling under where our hands are. He wanted me to feel his magic, so I had an idea of what I'd be like with other people. It's weird to feel it, then see the smoke manifest seemingly out of nowhere. Feeling a small influx of magic from him the smoke moves, to the wall and up it in a thin sheet of black. He commands it without words, without movements from him. The smoke swirls along the wall, into a figure. It's an outline of an average-sized person, then it moves to outline a shadow of a large four legged creature, a bear I think. There was no indication that he was doing anything, other than the smallest pulse of magic that runs through his arms.

"How do you do that?" I ask him. He pulls the magic back and the shadows disappear, his hand goes to my chest, palm spread out.

"Here, close your eyes." I slide my eyes closed. "Focus on your body, the feeling of each breath, the beat of your heart."

He moves his body a step back and removes his hand from my chest allowing me to focus more on myself rather than him against me. "Magic runs in your veins, look for it, seek it out."

With my eyes closed I take a deep breath, focusing on that, and try to move farther. The feel of my body, the beat of my heart, the rush of blood in my veins.

"Not your blood, your magic," Bjorn said in a low tone. I can't tell if it's said out loud or in my head. "Don't pull on your blood, that is a different kind of magic than what Caine is teaching."