48. Choices

Mulai dari awal

Something shifted inside her as she forced her body to straighten and she pushed her chest out.

This wasn't her fault. She couldn't punish herself for Davyn's choices, for the things she'd tried to prevent. Being Snitch Gravel was his choice. Hurting and killing people was his choice. She couldn't control that anymore than she could control the weather.

The only thing she had control over was her own fate. Her story. And even if the cards she'd been dealt were dire, she would make them work. She would take what she still had, and she would twist it around.

She would not be a failure. She just had to switch her goal to something that made sense now. Her hand rested on her stomach. Write herself a new story in which she wouldn't be a disappointment to her family and a failure. She could still have a happy ending, and it was up to her to get there.

It was time she took back her life and rearranged it in a way that made sense for her. Love was dead. It didn't mean she had to be, too.

So she gritted her teeth and buried her pain as deeply as she could. She could still salvage her life, and he wouldn't let Davyn ruin it like he'd ruined everything else.

She would raise above it all. And she knew exactly how to do it.

The sun rose over the tallest building, throwing a golden shine around her, like a confirmation that there was still hope in the world.

♣️

Millie knew Doctor Reynolds had called her mother once he got all her details, and she was ready for it. She only hoped she'd manage to get a little more done before she arrived. If everything went according to her new plan, she wouldn't even have to crush Sophie's heart.

She wasn't disappointed. The moment visiting hours began, Freider was back by her side, a bag filled with snacks at a ready.

"How was your night?" he asked, placing yogurt and bananas on her nightstand.

She just whimpered and wrapped her fingers around his forearm, applying the tiniest amount of pressure. He immediately dropped what he was doing and half-sat next to her on the bed, looking down at her with worry in his eyes.

"Maxi?"

She looked away. "I'm sorry. It's just..."

He placed his hand on her shoulder and squeezed lightly. "I know it's been a lot, and you have every right to feel vulnerable right now."

"I do." She leaned into him, resting her head against his chest. "It's so frightening. I keep remembering the mob and the flames. Being stepped on."

He wrapped both arms around her shoulders and squeezed her against him. It felt good to have someone holding her. It gave her strength more than anything had in a while.

"You're safe now," he whispered.

She did feel safer with him there. He was someone willing to do so much for her. Even if she'd fought against it, she no longer saw the point. She deserved the comfort after everything she had been through. She deserved to no longer just give, but take as well.

"You saved my life."

He shifted, as though a little uncomfortable. "I'm just glad I was there."

"What were you doing there anyway?"

His hold on her tightened for a second before he let her go altogether. She hated it.