Chapter 21 : The Challenge

Rajveer couldn't hold his racing heart at any rate as he took rounds around the fire with Samaira. Everybody kept showering rose petals on them, the youngsters hooting after each round's completion, but he was deaf to it all. He could only hear his pounding heartbeat and the crackling of the holy fire which was a witness of their sacred bond.

As they sat again, he was given vermilion. Sonia held Samaira's headpiece up and he filled her hairline. His heart fluttering as their eyes locked.

"The groom now ties the sacred nuptial chain around the bride's neck." - the priest instructed.

He had invested time in choosing a perfect chain for Samaira. He knew she already didn't want to get tied up in this relationship with him and if the chain will be heavy or not office friendly, she would simply not bother to wear it. But he wanted to see her wearing the chain around her neck. The vermilion in her hairline. Of his name. That was why, her nuptial chain was a delicate double-thread of black and gold beads which etched to a crescent-shaped diamond pendant. He secured the chain around her neck all the while maintaining eye contact with her.

"The rituals have been completed. From this instant, you both are tied up in the holy bond of marriage and are husband and wife. Stand up and take your elders' blessings." - the priest announced.

A huge round of applause echoed throughout the garden, petals being showered over them continuously as they took blessings from her parents and other elders of her family.

"God bless you both. I wish you all the happiness in the world." - her maternal grandmother showered blessings while hugging them to her chest.

Rajveer's smile was jubilant. But a slight frown came over his face when he saw Liam coming to stand among the guests and looked at him expectantly

Something was a miss.

He turned to Samaira who was already looking at him and beat him in speaking.

"The dress is tiring me out. Can I go and change ?" - she asked in a low voice, looking actually tired.

He smiled softly at her. Although, there was a cake cutting ceremony in queue followed by their photoshoot but nothing came above her comfort for him. And nothing ever will.

"Of course you can." - he said and his heart soared when she smiled. Looking relieved to hear that.

She talked to her mother who, along with her sister, took her back inside the palace. The congregation took seat as the dinner started and he stepped out of the garden to hear what Liam has to say.

"The factory had caught fire half an hour ago." - Liam began and his eyes widened.

"Were there any overtime workers ?" - that was his first question.

"Just two and they are safe. The fire has been extinguished as well but it has done some damage."

Oh he was not bothered by one of his hundredth property being slightly damaged of fire. His main concern was, WHO had the audacity to do that because he knew, it was NOT an accident.

Liam understood the question in his blazing eyes and spoke : "The traces lead to Vivek. The guards and the police are looking for him but he seems to make a run. Without any whereabouts."

Rajveer took his turban off and carelessly handed it to Liam as he ran a hand through his hair in anger.

"Kill him on sight and tell the police the same." - he ordered and Liam bowed his head before making an exit.

Rajveer took a deep breath. Now was not the time to think about it all. He will deal with everything later. At the moment, only one person deserved his attention.