The Sokka Hate Train

Start from the beginning

"What do you think they're talking about?" Jet asked out loud to Longshot and Smellerbee.

"Can't say, but it looks intense." Smellerbee answered, furrowing her brows as she attempted to read lips. "They're talking too fast but I think the front desk lady called her Ekkona..."

Jet tensed as the name was tossed into the open air. "We have to step in! What if they take her prisoner?"

Longshot put his arm out to block Jet from making a huge mistake. He shook his head at Jet and blinked slowly.

"The Guider Effect, you're totally right Longshot. Thanks for that pal." Jet relaxed. "Look, they're being let through the gates. Okay, this is good."

As if Rein could sense them, she turned around and waved at the group before disappearing behind the large wall.

"Kireina, what did she say to you?" Iroh questioned the girl as soon as they were out of earshot from those around them.

"I was making up this story about the Fire Nation destroying my home and... wait, you know that isn't actually a lie. You guys did destroy my home and all my identifications!"

"Reina! Back to reality please, what did she say? Do we have to watch our backs or what?" Zuko snapped.

Rolling her eyes, she replied, "She grabbed my hand and instantly knew who I was. I don't think she's a problem, she told me she and the city would keep me a secret while also protecting me, so that's cool I guess."

The trio walked along until they spotted a bench where they all sat to relax. The travel just to get into the city was exhausting. First by boat, now by train; both of which offering zero comfort.

"What's the plan once we get into the city? Avatar hunting or what?" Rein asked.

"Lots of hunting all right. House hunting and job hunting!" Iroh chirped, waving down a man pushing a tea cart. "Jasmine, please!"

"So let me get this straight... are we settling down in Ba Sing Se?" She pointed this question more towards Zuko.

"Uh, we have to lay low for a while since we're now considered enemies of the Fire Nation." Zuko answered, awkwardly scratching the back of his head. "To be completely honest with you, I have no inkling as to where your brother even is."

"If he shows up in Ba Sing Se, do I have to worry?" Rein grilled, examining Zuko's demeanor in order to detect deceit.

"If Sokka shows up with him, do I have to worry?" He retorted.

Talk about a slap to the face. A name she had tried so hard to ignore. He who shall not be named was named.

A light bulb went off in her head at this very moment.

Mai.

"You know Zuko, I met someone a little while back. She actually tried to kill me," she laughed, "it was quite anticlimactic. I mean, who fights with knives against a multi bender?"

Zuko's stomach flipped as Rein mentioned knives. He knew who she was talking about and man, was this not his ideal topic of discussion.

Kireina watched as Zuko's face contorted and she smirked, feeding off of his discontent. "But the girl was ignorant; how could she not know that rock always beats scissors?"

"You can earth bend now?" Zuko gaped.

     "That's your takeaway from this? I just told you I put a boulder in the side of your ex girlfriend's head and you're in shock that I can earth bend now? You ruined my whole thing I was doing, ugh."

     "I learned it from you." Zuko spit back, a small smile tugging at the corner of his lips. "I am curious now though, when did you figure out you could bend all the elements?"

"I too am intrigued by this, Kireina." Iroh spoke, renouncing his presence.

Instant flashes of Sokka kissing her inside the secret tunnel flooded her mind. This obviously was something she didn't want to mention to Zuko. But then Rein's mind floated back to last night where Zuko confessed he would be truthful with her and it would only be fair if she gave him the same respect.

With a deep breath she answered, "I don't exactly know what happened or why I reacted the way I did but Sokka kissed me in this secret love tunnel. Next thing I knew there was a huge gaping abyss separating the two of us."

"I knew there was something going on between you two." Zuko muttered, crossing his arms over his chest.

"You make it really hard to love you sometimes, Zu. Especially in the beginning when you were nothing but a ball of fire with a ponytail."

"Sounds like the Spirits were not happy about your relationship with the tribesman, Kireina." Iroh added.

"If I were a Spirit I'd be pissed about it too, I mean really... Sokka?" Jet scoffed, planting himself on the bench beside Rein.

Zuko peered around Rein towards Jet, "Finally something I can agree with you on."

"Alright, alright. Let's get off this hate train because our next train is pulling in now." Rein diffused the rag fest beginning in front of her and instead ushered the small group of refugees to get up and board the train.