5. Polly: Chapter Five

Beginne am Anfang

"Poll, go to him," The voice spoke again.

With a warm feeling of confidence growing inside her, Polly stood to her feet and immediately chased after Henry to the ships.

Henry was stood near the gangway to the first boat when Polly arrived. He was glad to see her, even though his face looked indifferent, he was always smiling as if always discovering something new, "That was some trick."

"My father arrived with us," she said with a pleasing tone.

"Good, that will make this somewhat easier," Henry replied. He held up his rod and pointed up the bridge for Polly to go.

"There could be more up there," she said uncertainly.

"No match for the Alexanders, I'm sure," he said enthusiastically.

Polly walked up the gangway, wishing her father would appear beside her. He did not. As she reached the deck there was a commotion behind the sealed door in front of her.

"Watch out!" That low voice said near her again.

Polly threw herself against the wall as the door burst open and Bill stepped out onto the deck. She held her breath, he had not noticed her.

Bill, however, did see Henry at the bottom of the gangway. "You!" He bellowed.

Henry mouthed, "Go," to Polly and stepped backwards with his rod raised. "This way you blundering fool!" He shouted at Bill.

Polly entered the ship through the open doorway. The passage was dimly lit, there were several doors and steps leading downwards. She proceeded to the stairs and descended.

I do hope Henry is ok, she thought as she reached the passage below deck. The hall was very much like the first, rounded doors and dark rusted iron walls, very plain. Polly did not know much about boats, but she guessed this was not a passenger ship.

There were engraved words on a plaque beside each door, and sure enough, one said cargo.

"Father?" She called softly, but there was no answer. She waited a few seconds and called again. Still no answer, had he not followed? She shuddered at the realisation of being alone.

Polly pulled on the handle and the door clicked open with ease. Too easy, Polly thought. She entered slowly, the light from the doorway was too dull to illuminate anything in the room.

Walking slowly, she held out her hands for guidance and pressed against timber. She felt a large wooden chest in front of her and used her arms to navigate around it.

She kicked something soft, and a child's yelp startled her.

"Who's there?" Polly asked in a low voice.

"Don't hurt us," came a feeble reply.

"The children," Polly gasped. She heard a great deal of shuffling from many bottoms on the rough floor, she had found the little ones.

"Who are you, miss?" Another young boy asked.

Polly fumbled around the shelves and found a lantern and matches. She lit it and held it up to see small faces low to the ground staring back at her, "My name is Polly, me and my friend are here to rescue you."

There was a return chorus of, "What about the brute?" And "I'm hungry," or "I'm cold."

"I will see to it that you are all taken care of. How many of you are here?"

Another chorus of different answers, "Nine, fifteen, twenty, twenty three, five, thirty and twelve."

Polly realised these children were likely from the lowest class and denied a decent education. "It's ok, let me check," she extended a finger and pointed to each child, "Sixteen," she counted.

She held an outstretched hand to the nearest child, "Come with me."

"We can't, miss. Our hands and feet are bound," the young boy said.

Polly moved the lantern over the child's body, "I will untie each of you, help me untie the rest."

"Yes, miss."

Within minutes, all sixteen boys were free and ready to escape. Polly put a finger to her lips, warning them to be quiet. "Let's go," she said in a loud whisper.

Polly led the boys out into the passage and guided them up the stairs slowly. She was still weary of any henchmen, even Bill could still be nearby.

Ushering the children to stay in the passage, Polly crept to the end of the corridor alone. If there was danger, she would have to deal with it in order to keep the boys safe.

Fear struck her heart when she pushed the door open and three big burly men were stood out on the deck, leaning against the taffrails of the ship.

The one on the furthest left was the first to turn and stare into her eyes with a malicious grin stretched across his face.

***