5. Polly: Chapter Five

Start from the beginning

Polly's eyes lit up, she could feel her confidence rising and her fear dwindling. She liked this version of Henry as she watched him calculate and plan their daring rescue mission. He was waving his hands in the air in front of him like he was drawing on a board.

"Right," he said with commanding confidence. "If we keep to the left, we should be able to avoid all but two of the men. They're clearly not on look out duty and seem to be lost in their own thoughts. The one closest to that hull," he pointed. "I will likely have to stun him. I will create a distraction if needs be while you sneak onto the ship. Search the cargo hold first, then the boiler room."

"Yes, sir," Polly agreed. She did not like the idea of her going on the boat, but she was willing to do whatever it took to get the children out of the clutches of their captors.

"Good, follow me," keeping low, Henry left their hiding spot and crept to the left of the assorted crates and barrels. Polly watched his movements and those of the dock men, and sure enough, four of them were going to be completely oblivious to any movement due to the way they were facing.

"We have hope," she spoke quietly to herself and followed the scientist past the crates.

Polly had lost sight of Henry in the growing darkness. It was the signature blue flash of his rod that revealed him. She also saw two of the wandering men walking in his direction, both with clubs in hand.

Through panic she stumbled sideways and almost tipped a barrel, this gave her an idea. She kicked the barrel over and rolled it into the Thames.

"Who goes there?" Called one of the guards. The two turned to face her, forgetting Henry for now.

"What now, Polly?" The clerk asked herself.

The two men fast approached. She caught a glimpse of another flash of blue, indicating Henry had shocked the second man near the boat. The two were near upon her. She wanted to call Henry but she could not make a sound."

"Go round that side, Tom." One of the men said.

"Right'o, Boss," the other replied and they separated.

Polly cowered as low as she could behind a single crate, Henry, please come back.

"There you are. Found her, Boss."

"Whaddya mean, her?"

"A woman," Tom peered at her closer. "A negro."

"Excuse me!" Replied Polly, offended by the remark.

"Just do her in already. I'm going to find the other one," Boss replied.

Polly watched the glare in Tom's eyes as he raised his Club in the air. "Right'o, Boss," he said with malice.

She closed her eyes, ready for the blow. However, none came. When she looked again, Tom was no where to be seen. Polly pulled herself upwards slowly and searched around frantically. She could not see Tom anywhere on the dock. It was when she looked out across the water that she saw the man. He was dangling above the water by an unseen force.

"Boss! Hel-" Tom called before he was dropped beneath the surface of the Thames and never seen again.

Boss called his friend's name and ran to where he should have been standing next to the negro. He glared down at Polly and was about to say harsh words as he drew a pistol. Suddenly, he was also raised of his feet and held in the air. He started flailing about, screaming. The man was thrown into the flowing river by the invisible wind. Polly backed down, too scared to stand up in case the force scooped her up and put her in the river too.

"Go to the doctor," came a rough, low voice.

"Who's there?" Polly asked, although she felt like she already knew the answer, "Father?" She whispered.