You're my Brother

I drop off Mason and then Liam before finally heading home. There are no cars in the driveway which means no one is here. I head up to my room and hop in the shower needing to relax. After my shower I get changed into Liam's sweatshirt and some sweatpants. I brush through my tangles and run some oils through the strands before braiding it loosely behind my back. I wash my face and refill my water bottle before crawling into bed. I texted Stiles and asked where he was figuring my dad was just working another night shift. I pull out my math workbook flipping to the homework pages and scribbling down the steps. I finish the page and pull out Romeo and Juliette so I can read the homework pages and write a summary.

I'm just finishing up my homework when I hear the front door open and shut. I put my things back into my bed walking down the hall. I reach the top of the stairs and the smell of blood alerts me. My head snaps down and I look for the source of the smell. I start down the stairs and hear the sound of the sink running. "Stiles?" I call out, rounding the corner into the kitchen.  My shoulders drop at the sight before me.

Stiles is scrubbing away at his skin where there's blood covering his arm. I hurry over, grabbing his hand and pulling it out of the water. "What happened?" I demand. I flip over his hand but don't see a wound. "Who's blood is this?" Stiles pulls his hand away and continues to scrub at his skin, not saying a word. I reach forward grabbing the Dawn dish soap off the counter and squirting some onto his hand. I set the bottle down as he continues to scrub at the blood flaking off his skin. I step back and let him have his space as he continues to clean his arm. A few minutes go by but Stiles hasn't stopped scrubbing at his skin. I can see the skin is flared and angry from his nails dragging against his skin. I soundlessly grab the hand towel and turn off the water, wrapping Stiles' hands in the towel. Stiles' gaze doesn't move from his hands wrapped in the towel. I drag the towel against his hands drying them. "Stiles?" I whisper. My brother's eyes finally meet my face, there's a hollow look in his eyes. "What happened to you?"

"I-uh. It's not mine." He pulls away from me and starts to walk away but I reach out grabbing his sleeve stopping his movement.

"Stiles. You're my big brother. Whatever happened? You know I"m not going to freak out right? Unless someone important died." I stare at his face. I can smell a slight sweat layer across his skin and his anxiety has spiked. He's nervous. "Stiles I just want to help you."

"I was at the library doing some extra studying.. When I went to leave the jeep wouldn't start and so I was working on it and the next thing I know-" Stiles voice wavers as his eyes have a faraway look. His hand drifts up to his shoulder and he winces drawing his hand away, there's blood on his fingertips. 

"Stiles you're bleeding." I step forward and help him remove the flannel. He lets out a groan as we get the shirt off. I rip the t-shirt up the back and reveal my brother's back to me. On his right shoulder is a circular bite wound. It's surrounded by blood and the skin looks slightly mangled. "We have to stop the bleeding." I whisper. "Sit down. I'll be right back." I turn around and hurry down the hall into the bathroom, I push the door open and yank open the cupboard pulling out the first aide kit and rubbing alcohol. I hurry back into the kitchen and set the items down on the table next to Stiles. I grab a clean rag and hand it to my brother. "You're going to want to bite this. I need to clean it up better to see if it needs stitches or not." I instruct. Stiles brings the rag up to his lips biting down. I grab the bottle of rubbing alcohol and uncap it, I quickly bring the bottle up trickling the alcohol over the wound. Stiles lets out a yell as his body jerks forward. "I know. I know." I whisper. I quickly wet a clean towel and dab away the blood surrounding the wound. Stiles flinches at each touch. "Okay, let me see." 

I look closer at the wound and see that the teeth marks don't look like they've torn through the muscle. It looks like the teeth of the creature or whatever did this wasn't able to rip out a bite before Stiles got away. "You won't need any stitches. I'll just bandage it up and we have to keep it clean but it'll be alright. I don't think you'll scar." I tape down some gauze over the wound before bandaging over it. "Tell me what happened?"

"It was Donovan. He uh he had this hole in his hand filled with teeth. I head butted him and was able to get out of his hold and grab onto my wrench. I struck him with it." I place a hand on his shoulder, rubbing it softly to soothe him. "I used the chance to run into the library. I hid under the stairs behind some shelves. I thought I got away but he pulled me through the shelves. I guess dad was with a previous partner who was Donovan's dad. His dad got shot and it paralyzed him, ending his career. "I climbed up this scaffolding the construction crew had up. Trying to scramble away. " His breathing picks up. "I managed to pull the pin securing it and it. These medal rods fell down..." Stiles' head drops forward. "He was impaled...He died." I wrap my arms around Stiles tightly, eyes watering scared that I had almost lost my brother again.

"Stiles, you didn't know." I assure him. "You were just trying to get away. He probably would have killed you!"

"I called 911." My eyes shoot up. "But I ran." I nod my head, knowing he did what he thought was the right thing. "I waited in the parking lot, a dispatched unit came." He swallowed. "He cleared the library." I open my mouth confused. "When I went back into the library his body was gone and the blood was pretty much cleaned up. Like it never happened." HIs eyes have a far off look in them, waves of anxiety roll off him. "You can't tell dad." You nod your head.

"How did he survive? No one should've survived that injury, shifter or not." I turn around throwing away the used medical supplies and packing up the kit. "Stiles go get changed and we can go over the board, it seems like we have another player on the board." I hear his footsteps stumble up the stairs as I put away the first aid kit and wash my hands. I pull out the milk and some hot chocolate powder making the drink my mother had made for my brother and I growing up. It had become our thing for comfort. Whenever one of us was feeling down or having a rough day the other would make the hot chocolate the way our mom had taught us to and we would go up to our rooms and spend the night together to cheer the other up.

I bring the mugs upstairs kicking the door shut behind me. I place Stiles drink on his desk and plop down on the rug looking up to Stiles who's writing on the board. 'Donovan not dead????'

"It's gonna be another long school year isn't it?" I ask, sipping my drink letting the warm chocolate ease my nerves. Stiles takes a drink of his, when he removes the mug from his mouth he has whip cream on his face. I laugh pointing to his lip and he wipes on his sleeve annoyed with me.

Stiles' phone buzzes in his pocket and he picks up answering it "Scott?" I tune in and listen to the conversation.

"Stiles, someone's taking the bodies." My eyes meet Stiles' confused. Stiles drags a hand through his hair looking at me stressed. "Stiles? You there?"

"Yeah." Stiles swallows. "Um. What are you talking about?" He starts to pace the room.

"I'm at the animal clinic with Kira. Tracy's body is gone. The lock is broken from the outside. My mom said the body from the morgue is missing as well. Someone's stealing the bodies." The boys talk for a few more minutes before Scott says he has to go take Kira home and hangs up. I stand up from my chair grabbing a pen to write 'missing bodies?' in the corner near the names of the deceased. I plop back down in the chair and take a big gulp of my drink letting it warm my insides.

"Who do you think it is?" I ask staring at the board. I hear Stiles stop pacing as he turns to the board. 

"I don't know.. maybe those masked guy Malia thought she saw....or maybe it's someone new entirely. Maybe there's another player on the board-"

"That wouldn't make sense. I think the person taking the bodies is probably the same one making the chimeras. They probably don't want people asking questions." I argue thinking that was the only logical explanation. I really just wanted to have a normal school year and the idea of another mysterious potentially dangerous person in town was not what I needed.