21.

New Years Eve

6:58 p.m.

Serenity stepped inside her front door and instantly wiped the tear that had fallen from her eye. She couldn't believe her man would just kick her to the curb like that. Her heart felt heavy and all she wanted to do was sleep the pain away.

She had planned on spending the night with her man, celebrating the new year, but the two had almost got caught when his wife walked through the door. Serenity sat dumbfounded in the closet as she listened to the couple bicker about his adulterous ways.

She should have known though. Men of that stature and with his type of money always had wives hidden somewhere.

She was so upset and stormed out of the closet and out of the front door. She could hear them arguing from all the way down the street as she ran to the nearest bus stop and took it all the way back to her neighborhood.

One thing she didn't care for was sharing men. She was 17 years old and had more life to live. She had heard about the wives who had killed their husbands sidechicks and didn't want to fall victim. She wanted to go to college and become something of herself. Her relationship with her older man wasn't even worth it.

She went to the kitchen but stopped when she saw a note written on the refrigerator: Serenity if you see this, call me ASAP!

It was from her father. She wondered if he knew what she had done. He crumbled up the note, throwing it in the trash. Now he wants to care about my whereabouts. She thought and scuffed to herself. The only thing he ever cared about was his job. Don't act like you give a damn now.

She grabbed a water bottle out of the fridge. As she made her way to her room, she stopped mid step when she heard a loud crash coming from the basement.

"Semaj?" She called out below a whisper. "Semaj?" She called out again, looking over the banister and down at the living room. She shifted her weight on one foot before she heard another crash. Oh hell no. She thought as she ran inside her room and locked the door.

She put her things down on the floor and used her dresser to barricade the door. Whipping out her phone, she flipped it open and began to dial 911 but not before she heard a female voice, stopping her in her tracks.

"Her ass aint here! Fuck!" The woman said as she heard more crashing.

"Calm down." Another female's voice spoke. "She should've been here."

"Well she aint! What the fuck did you do?"

"Me? I aint do shit! I'm not that bitches caregiver. I just do what you ask me to do." The woman said in defense.

She heard the woman in distress take a deep breath. "Ok so we wait for her to show up."

"Milan I don't think-"

"Look bitch- you call that boy up and yall wait here for her. Simple." Milan said. She heard the front door open and then it close.

Serenity thought long and hard. She? She who? Who did these women want? What if it was her man's wife was trying to kill her?