12.

"How y'all supposed to be Christians celebrating Halloween?" Maya questioned Semaj as the pair put up the decorations for the upcoming holiday.

Semaj chuckled and said, "I be asking myself the same question. But me and Serenity been celebrating Halloween though. Since we was young."

"Hm."

"Plus, my mama just like to decorate for every season. You'll see."

Maya didn't answer because she knew she wasn't seeing shit. She wondered for how long she was going to keep this up. She was over it at this point. She wasn't used to being a house slave because that's basically what she was. All day every day Maya cleaned, cooked, and ran errands for the family. She wasn't used to this but who would've been. She had to constantly remind to herself that this was only temporary. Hell, her life was temporary at this point.

"So what made you want to nanny?"

"I needed the extra money." Maya kept it simple. The family never asked her any questions about her personal life and her and Sincere never discussed what she was supposed to say when anyone asked her anything.

"You didn't want a regular job?"

"Is this not a regular job?"

Semaj opened his mouth to say something but decided against it. "Naw you right. I was just curious as to why a grown adult is working for other grown adults. Im not saying 'ion like you 'cuz I fuck with you but... 'ion know. It was unexpected."

Maya kept her mouth closed as she continued to decorate their house.

Semaj looked at her for an answer but didn't receive one. "I ain't mean to offend you-"

"You didn't offend me, Semaj." You just ask too many questions. "But you're right though. I am grown as hell cooking and cleaning for y'all grown ass... but like I said. Sincere approached me with the opportunity and I took it."

"That's fair. You gotta get it how you live."

"Exactly."

Maya actually liked Semaj. He was cool, down to earth, and funny. Sometimes he talked too damn much but it was what it was. She definitely looked at him as a annoying older brother since he was 2 years  her senior.

She couldn't lie though, Sincere's family had started to feel like her family. Serenity and Semaj felt like siblings to her. NaTasha was like an evil step mother and Sincere... she couldn't quite but her finger on tuber relationship yet.

The two always made little flirty remarks and stole small glances at one another when in the same room but that was about it. They all played their roles. It was what it was. Maya thought that living in the house with him was going to make them start having sex more frequently... but boy was she wrong.

After they were finished with the decorations, both Maya and Semaj went to the backyard to roll up. Maya was a smoker and so was Semaj. From time to time they always sat outside, smoked, and talked about random shit.

Sparking the pre rolled joint, Maya placed it to her lips and inhaled deeply. Smoke filled her lungs instantly and she immediately felt at ease. Smoking was therapeutic for them. It was fucked up the shit was illegal.