22. Byzantium

BUNKER - JACK'S ROOM

Sam, Castiel, Seylah and Dean waited by Jack's bedside. Jack tried to sit up.

"Hey, hey, hey, it's all right. Take -- Take it easy. Take it easy. It's all right. It's all right," Sam said.

"Please don't be sad. Maybe -- Maybe this is how things are supposed to be," Jack told them.

"Don't give me that "meant to be" crap. This isn't part of some damn plan," Dean replied.

"Dean..." Castiel began.

Jack coughed again, breathing oxygen with a mask, and Dean left the room, upset. Castiel followed. Seylah touched Jack's arm and ran from the room, trying to hold back her tears.

"Can you tell them... it's okay?" Jack asked. "Tell Seylah not to miss me too much."

"Tell them yourself. They'll be back in a minute," Sam replied.

"Sam... what happens next... for someone like me?"

"I don't know."

"Then it's gonna be an adventure."

HALLWAY

Dean had stopped to brood when Castiel caught up to him. Seylah had gone to her room and collapsed on her bed, tears falling down her cheeks.

"Dean," Castiel called.

"I can't. It's not right, Cas, you know? It's just -- It's not-" Dean trailed.

"What? It's not fair? I know that. But he needs you."

"Yeah, I know, Cas. But-"

Dean and Castiel returned to Jack's room, but they were too late.

"He's gone," Sam told them.

Castiel, Dean and Sam lingered in the hallway outside Jack's room. Seylah walked up. "What happened?"

"I'm sorry, Sey."

"No. No!"

"Maybe we should... start thinking about next steps," Castiel suggested.

"Wake and a bonfire, hunter style. It's what Jack would've wanted," Dean said.

Sam said nothing and stormed off. Seylah ran back to her room, her tears following harder. Castiel tried to stop them, but Dean stopped him with a hand on his arm.

"Sam," Castiel called, turning to Dean. "Your brother and niece are in pain."

"Just let them be. If they need their space, we're gonna give it to them."

Dean walked the halls alone. He called Mary and got her voicemail. "This is Mary Winchester. You know the drill."

Castiel stood over Jack's bed, next to Jayci who had curled up and fallen asleep at Jack's bedside, picked up Kelly's picture.

"Hey, Mom, it's me. Sorry to lay this on your voicemail, but, uh... it's Jack. He... He got sick, um, and he, uh -- h-he died... this morning. I would have called you sooner, but, um, it -- it happened so fast. And we thought we could fix it, you know like always. Anyway, Mom, I'm sorry. I know how much he meant to you and, uh, to all of us. Anyway, to tell you the truth, it would really be nice to hear your voice. If you could, uh, just call us back."

Sam packed a bag and left the bunker. Castiel saw him go, but didn't try to stop him.

Dean found Castiel moments later. "Hey, you seen Sam?"

Castiel drove and Dean rode shotgun, in Castiel's new truck.

"How could you just let him leave, man? You saw what he was like," Dean said. "I don't even know if we should have left Jayci alone."