𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟻: 𝚙𝚑𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚌𝚊𝚕𝚕

Succinylcholine (20 mg/mL)
Warning: Paralysing agent.

The colour drained out of his face upon reading the label as his mind began hunting down the possibilities. It can't be true. Can it? He swallowed harshly, running a hand through his hair.

This was the same anaesthetic found in his body... why is it hidden here? And there's no reason... But most importantly, who would do it?

His breath quivered as he shut the metal box, putting it back under the bed, suppressing the thoughts awakening from within.

I could ask them, but what would I say? I can't be direct... I can't accuse them... without evidence...

He stepped out, turning off the lights as these thoughts confined him. He stood in front of the closed door, hanging his head low when Y/N called out his name from the dining table. He jumped as a tiny sound of distress escaped his mouth, placing a hand on his chest in an attempt to calm down.

"I didn't mean to startle you." Her expression filled with worry but switched as she tried to contain her laughter. He eyed her, approaching the table while he roughly pulled on an adjacent chair. She winced upon the horrifying screech it made against the tiles. "Too tired to even lift it up?"

He managed a smile, pouring himself a glass of water. He didn't realise his throat had gone dry until he gulped it down in a go.

"Slow down." She chuckled softly, pouring herself one. "There's plenty of water here."

And for the first time, he noticed the sparkle in her eyes... just for a moment. But his gaze lingered a bit longer than he intended as she looked at him in confusion. "Is there something on my face?"

He plastered a smile, shaking his head. "I was just thinking."

"About what?" Her eyebrow arched up as she held eye contact, taking a sip from her glass.

"This word." He scratched the back of his neck, looking away. "It's been on my mind since last night but I don't remember where it's from."

Her eyebrows flicked up with interest, "Tell me. Maybe, I can help." She leaned forward onto the table, elbows resting on the wood.

"I don't know if I'm pronouncing it right." He gave her a heads up. "But I think it was... Succinylcholine or something." She subtly flinched but enough for him to notice. He slowly began to shake his head. "It's okay if you don't know--"

"It's from the news." She blurted out, tilting her head. "Remember the lake accident case two days ago? It was found in the victim's body." It surprised Jaeyun as she let out a small laugh, ridiculing the recent occurrences but he held it in. "Jay told you there's been a lot going on, right?"

"Yeah, said it's been one hell of a week." He nodded, observing her behaviour, unsure of the connection she's making. "He didn't specify on the details though."

"Worse than hell. Trust me." She sighed as she rolled her lips inwards, contemplating whether or not to tell him. "You're good at keeping secrets, aren't you?"

"Why don't you check it out for yourself?" He crossed his arms, leaning back on the chair.

She took a deep breath before narrating everything that had occurred in the past week. She noticed waves of emotions wash over him with every incident she spoke about... Anger. Concern. Confusion. Disgust. Horror. Relief.