𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

Start from the beginning

"Cinese! Why didn't you come yesterday like your aunty told you?" Her mom asked. Cinese didn't have time for her mom's nagging. She never got a break with her. "Something came up." She said.

"Kadijah, please. You know she is stressed with class. She's in college." Mimi tried to reason.

"I don't care! She's been avoiding my calls as if i'm not her mother. Don't think because you moved out you're all 'big and bad' I'm still your MOTHER!" She shouted. Cinese was a little taken aback at how fast her atticus could switch.

Cinese tried to keep her cool and not respond, but she couldn't help it. "So?? I'm also 22! I'm not a little girl anymore. I'm an adult. You don't own me!" Cinese shouted back.

Cinese felt her nose begin to burn. She hated how she always began to cry when got mad. It was a habit of her. "Shut up! Don't raise your voice when talking to me. I don't care how old you are! I went through hell and back for you! So when I'm talking to you, you be quiet!" She shouted.

"Oh thank you for doing the bare minimum for me. That's what a mother is supposed to do! You were the one who decided to have kids, so you have to deal with the responsibilities that come with it." Cinese yelled.

"Kadijah. Calm down, let's go to the room." Mimi said trying to calm her down.

"Mariama, if you know what's best for you, don't touch me!" Cinese's mom exclaimed. Cinese saw her mother was staring at her with pure anger in her eyes.

"If you talk to me like that one more time, I'll come over there and lick you with a good dirty slap! I am your mother! You should always respect me! No matter WHAT!" She yelled.

"You're not my mother! I don't claim you as my mother anymore." Cinese said, tears now spilling on her face.

"Cinese. Don't say that." Her aunt said. Cinese shook her head. She didn't care. Her mom always  found a way get to a reaction out of her. She finally got it.

"No! I-I can't do it! She's always neglecting me. She thinks I owe her something when I don't owe her shit! She thinks because she fed me, and put clothes on my back that I owe her the world!" Cinese shouted.

"Yes, you do! I carried you in my stomach for 9 months, and went through pain! My body has marks and scars because of you! So yes, you do owe me the world!" She said.

Cinese stared at her mom in shock. She knew what her mom was capable of, but never expected her to say that. She never understood how one person could be so toxic.

"How is this my fault? I didn't ask to be here! YOU chose to give birth to me! I didn't! You also have two other children! It's not only me that caused your scars or your 'marks' " She sniffed.

Before her mom could even utter another word, she grabbed her things and left a She couldn't stand being in her mother's presence anymore.

Once she got in her car, she cried for a long time. By the time she was done crying her eyes were red and puffy. She could barely even see.

She was finally calm enough to drive home. She gave herself a pep talk before she started driving. She turned on music to calm her down.

...

Cinese dug in her pocket for her keys, and opened the door. She walked in and saw Tianna watching TV on the couch. Tianna couldn't really see Cineses face due to the place being pitch dark. "Hey C. How'd it go with your mom?" Tianna asked, pausing the TV.