Chapter 13: Prototype

Start from the beginning

A soft smile curled at the corner of Alpha's lips as she acknowledged Epsilon's effort, "I understand. You did well, Epsilon."

Her attention shifted to 567, "567, send a telegram to Oriana. Inform Eta to return immediately. We need a countermeasure for these antacids, 'ASAP'."

As 567 moved to fulfill Alpha's orders, the elven leader's gaze finally met Lambda's. "Ah, Lambda. You're here. Good, come in."

Nodding, Lambda moved to the foot of the grand wooden table, directly across from Alpha. As 567 brushed past her, Lambda's gaze remained firmly on her leader.

"Alpha, ma'am," she addressed her leader with a crisp salute, her voice as steady as her unyielding posture.

With a discerning gaze, Alpha studied Lambda, her characteristic intensity softening into an almost maternal concern. "Lambda, has it worsened?" she asked, her voice laced with worry as her eyes strayed to Lambda's eyepatch.

"No, ma'am," Lambda responded, the corner of her mouth lifting in a small smile of reassurance. "Quite the contrary, it seems to have healed somewhat. There was an incident earlier today involving an artifact 720 was carrying. It appeared to have triggered something."

At the mention of the recruit, Alpha's gaze flickered to Epsilon, a knowing look passing between them.

"720? You don't say..." she mused aloud, her eyes returning to Lambda.

Alpha's gaze became more focused, her question filled with an understanding only someone who had seen her struggles could have. "And how is that interfering with your other eye?"

Taking a steady breath, Lambda confided, "It's fusing." Her admission sparked a flicker of concern in Alpha's eyes, prompting her to swiftly reassure, "But it's nothing I can't handle, ma'am."

"Then I'll trust your judgment, Lambda," Alpha conceded after a moment, her gaze still locked with Lambda's. Then, almost as an afterthought, she added, "But at least let her know."

Lambda saluted once again, "Yes, ma'am." Her words rang with conviction.

Alpha finally broke her gaze from Lambda, her eyes returning to the window. She then asked Epsilon, "Epsilon, fill Lambda in on the situation."

Epsilon nodded, stepping up to the challenge. Epsilon began her update, her tone resolute, "The enemy has developed a counter to our slime suits: Antacids. They can dissolve the suits completely."

Lambda's brows furrowed, baffled by the revelation. "Antacids, ma'am?"

As if in response to Lambda's question, Alpha produced a pouch from the table, holding it up to the light streaming in from the window. The faint crinkling of the pouch and its strange contents caused Epsilon to recoil instinctively, inching closer to Lambda's side of the table.

"I doubt it's ordinary antacids," Alpha speculated quietly, her gaze thoughtfully analyzing the pouch, "but Eta's analysis will provide more clarity upon her return."

After a moment's contemplation, Alpha turned her attention back to Epsilon. "Epsilon, what's your impression of 720?"

Epsilon's shoulders hunched a bit, her brow furrowing as she considered her answer. "She's a bit... timid, and fidgety. Like she's constantly in her own head. I imagine she was traumatized by what she went through with her captors."

Alpha sighed, her gaze back out the window. "That's not too uncommon, unfortunately. And she's been through a lot already..."

With a deep breath, Epsilon suggested, "Do you think 720 could know something about these antacids? She was, after all, captured by the same bandits using them."

"You didn't ask her earlier?" Alpha asked, turning back to Epsilon, her tone a bit more stern than usual.

"Well, how much would she know anyway? She was in a cage the whole time," Epsilon backpedaled. "And, um, besides, it was 567... No, sorry. We were all distracted by the situation, ma'am," Epsilon admitted, her gaze drifting to the floor.

"I see," Alpha mused, "Well, I guess there's no need to rush. We might as well let her get comfortable first. Once Eta returns, we can start asking questions. We'll learn plenty then."

Epsilon simply nodded, accepting Alpha's decision. Lambda quelled any doubts as well, trusting Alpha's judgment.

Alpha then pivoted to Lambda, her expression serious. "Anyway, Lambda, we can't solely rely on Eta devising a counter to these antacids. I would value your insight on the matter."

"Ma'am, are you worried this may be the precursor of more anti-slime tech?" Lambda asked, her mind already racing through the possibilities. Alpha nodded in response, her expression grim.

Lambda held herself still, marinating in the implications of Alpha's concern. Their situation was dire, requiring a swift and effective solution. Then an epiphany struck her, the memory of their rigorous training flashing through her mind.

"Alpha, ma'am," she started, "Lord Shadow may have already provided us the answer through our training. I think it's time to dust off Alexandria's old armory."

Alpha's eyes flickered with intrigue at the proposal, a hand thoughtfully tracing her chin. "Of course! Those skills should be transferable..."

Lambda continued, "Yes, ma'am. I would suggest an emergency training week for all Numbers. That should be ample time for me to get everyone to adjust."

Alpha gave her a resolute nod. "I trust you, Lambda. Proceed with the preparations. You are dismissed."

Without hesitation, Lambda saluted Alpha, her resolve to protect her comrades renewed. "Yes, ma'am."