Revelations

The weekend came to an end and I woke up feeling restless. I toss my sheets and look back to the empty space next to me before sighing.

Mark and I have barely talked since he was still giving me the silent treatment but we would still eat and sleep together. It was awkward, to say the least. I had thought about just calling the investigation off but I couldn't go on with my life knowing there was something I could have done.

There had been over seven deaths within the last three months. The public had given up on the police and tried taking matters into their own hands. Many communities rallied together and created watches or paroles. It was not impossible for a man to be alone at night without facing repercussions from these groups. Protests were always being held near the police station or city hall. Not to mention the media, which was promoting fear-mongering as views were at an all-time high. Women were now feared to believe they shouldn't step out of their homes.

I exhale once more before getting up and stretching my limbs. I had made up my mind and nothing could change that.

After getting ready for the day, I head downstairs to find Mark sitting on the couch. I nod my head and make my way toward the kitchen to grab a snack and prepare my lunch.

"Not even a good morning." Hearing his footsteps approach me I glance back for a brief moment, slightly annoyed. 

"Figured you were still giving me the silent treatment." I shrug as I pack my lunch in a container.

Mark puts a hand on my arm and I turn around to see a serious demeanor plastered on his face. "I just needed time to think." I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"Yes Mark, I understand that but being cold toward me isn't going to change my mind." I sigh as he slightly frowns.

"I know but I was angry." He grabs my hands and looks down at them. "I don't want you to get hurt. I keep thinking back to the note you got... do you really expect me to just be okay with this?" He finally looks up.

"No, but I need you to respect my decision," I say in a pleading tone as I look up at him. "I want to do this. I know the risks which is why I need your support."

I grab his arm and give it a gentle squeeze. He sighs and remains quiet for a couple of seconds like his unconvinced.

"I know you're scared. I am too," My hands cup his face "but I can't just sit around and do nothing. The Center is overwhelming with people who are looking for safety and I feel like I can't provide that security anymore." I feel some tears well up but I push them back down. "I love you, Mark. I need your support... I need you to trust me."

Mark's eyes soften and he brings me in for a hug. He rubs my back and I feel myself relax. "Of course I trust you." He pulls back and he looks in the eye. "If you think this is what's best, then I'll support you."

"Really?!" I can't help the excitement in my voice.

"Really," he chuckles. "but one on condition." Mark lifts a finger.

"What is it?"

"I join you and be a part of this investigation."

******

I say goodbye to my last client and sigh before reviewing my notes and imputing them on the computer. The events of earlier replaying in my mind.

Mark had finally come to terms with Ethan and me investigating and reporting the murders happening in our town but at a cost. Anytime we meet up he would be present. Mark stated it was just to ensure my safety but I know part of it had to do with his distrust towards Ethan. I had texted the update to Ethan earlier but he has yet to respond.