Late to the Party

Short A/N: Hej Hej guys, just here to say I'm back and am excited to start writing again (especially this book). Enjoy the long drama-filled chapter (;! 

I look at myself in the mirror and put the last finishing touches on my makeup. Glancing at my phone, I see that Chloe had texted me four minutes ago. 

From Chloe: 

Hey, Kendall and I managed to get a booth. I'll save you a seat next to me!

I smile at the text and reply back before collecting my keys. I had agreed to go out with Chloe this weekend and she had suggested going to this new nightclub called Halo. It was just going to be Chloe, Kendall, and me but I was really looking forward to it. 

I walk down the stairs to see Mark watching tv on the couch with Max. The dog's head perked up at the sight of me as he slightly wagged his tail. 

"I'm heading out, I'll be out late," I say as my eyes linger on Mark who didn't bother to look at me.

"Okay." He takes a sip out of the beer he had in his hands and I sigh before heading out the door. Mark had been giving me the cold shoulder since our last conversation. I know he had a right to be upset but I wondered how long the silent treatment would last. Regardless of his reaction, I was determined to help out in any way I can. Call it stupidity but someone needed to do something about all of the young women dying since the cops had no leads. 

But was it worth having Mark so upset?

I shake the thoughts from my head and take a breath. I unlock my car and turn the key to start the engine. Tonight would be a good distraction from the investigation, Mark, Ethan, and other factors in my life. 

*****

I look around the dim yet multi-colored lit room trying to find a familiar face. Out of the corner of my eyes, I see a hand shaking in the air and squint my eyes to see Chloe. I excuse myself and push past the crowd in front of me. 

"Hey! We were just talking about you." Chloe chirped as she stood so I could slip into the round booth. To my surprise, Kendall was not the only other person here. Chloe takes her spot next to me and shrugs her shoulders. 

"I invited him," Kendall shouts so I could hear him over the music. I guess he could tell what I was thinking about by the look on my face. 

"Hope I don't put a damper on your mood," Sean says with a small smirk before taking a sip of the whiskey in his hands.

"Not at all, the more the merrier." I honestly didn't mind Sean joining us. He seemed like an okay guy and I saw it as an opportunity to get to know my new hire. "So what are we drinking tonight?" I smiled as I see that everyone had a drink beside me.

Sean and Kendall both had whiskey which wasn't a surprise and Chloe was drinking cranberry vodka. 

"What do you like to drink?" Sean asked. 

"Hmm, honestly I am not the biggest fan of whiskey. I tend to just drink anything fruity but I can never say no to tequila." 

"Well, in that case, want to take a shot together?" Just at that moment, Sean waved down the waitress that was walking around taking drink orders. Sean orders shots for the table and I take my card out but get stopped by him. 

"No need," He puts his hand on my shoulder and turns back to the waitress. "just put it on my tab." The waitress nods and asks if there was anything else we needed. "That's all, thank you beautiful." Sean winks making the waitress smile and blush before walking away. As soon as she was far enough Chloe turns to us and scoffs.