Seventeen

At first, the beeping of the hospital machines nearly drove her crazy. But now, having sat there for the past four hours waiting for Hyoseop to wake up, the beeping became therapeutic, reminding her that he was still here. The entire experience had felt like a blur; Hyoseop, unconsciously being loaded into the stretcher, her not letting go of his hand the entire time. Everything happened so quickly and they were at the ER before she knew it. They had told her he likely suffered an intense concussion when his head landed on the floor, but that they will be doing more tests to rule out the worst.

Sejeong held her breath every time a doctor came into the waiting room, thinking it'd be someone telling her Hyoseop was no longer with her. She had to constantly remind herself that her anxiety was getting to her. All through the early hours of the morning, Hyoseop's manager and a couple of TPC's staffed sat there waiting with her, all sending prayers and thinking hopeful thoughts. It wasn't until about an hour ago that she got the relief she was waiting for. The doctors had told her that there was no brain damage and that he had been moved to a private room. He was still unconscious, but that was better as it would help lessen his symptoms when he did wake up. The doctors had warned them that he would likely still feel intense headaches and nausea when he woke up, but that he'd be prescribed medication.

Hyoseop's manager wasted no time and cancelled all his activities for the next week, to which Sejeong requested the same from her manager. She had also been keeping his mum up to date, immediately calling her once she received the news. It was safe to say Hyoseop's parents felt immense relief as well to hear their son was alright.

Everyone had told her to go home and rest but she refused, choosing to stay by his hospital bed the entire night. She wanted to be the first person he sees when he woke up, and she wanted him to know that everything was going to be okay. She couldn't help but doze off every once in a while, but she'd stir awake a few moments later.

Sejeong also never let go of his hand. Sitting in her hospital chair, she kept drawing circles around it, hoping it'd give him a sense of comfort, as it did to her. She checked her phone for the time, it was almost 5:30 am.

Sejeong sat up and approached Hyoseop, carefully tucking stands of hairs behind his ear and gently caressing his face, "How is it that you still look so beautiful like this," she smiled and said to herself, before walking towards the sink to freshen herself up.

The past few hours had really made her reflect on just how fragile life was and reminded her that there were a lot of threats out there, even for a job like hers. She knew now more than ever that she didn't want to lose the people most important to her, and that it was important to seize the day and always live life to the fullest.

The sound of groaning from Hyoseop startled her, Sejeong quickly went back to his side and asked, "Hey, are you awake?"

Hyoseop felt like there was a tonne of bricks placed on his forehead. He tried his best to open his eyes, but he'd shut them back immediately, feeling like the light was piercing through his corneas, "Sejeong-ah?" he muttered weakly as he brought his hand to his right temple, slowly massaging it.

"Hey," she replied softly and smiled, "keep your eyes closed, I'm going to call for the nurse, okay?" she reached over and pressed the call button behind his bed, "how are you feeling?"

"Like I've suddenly aged 70 years," Hyoseop said, "what happened?"

She sat down next to him on the bed and took over massaging his temples, "I'm not sure how much you remember. That man attacked you at the club, he kicked you down and you fell really hard."

"Ouch," he grimaced, "what about you, are you okay?"

She shook her head, he always thought of her first, even at times like this, "Nothing happened to me. You pretty much fell unconscious not long after you hit the ground, but the doctors say there was no internal bleeding or brain damage. You do have a pretty intense concussion though, so you shouldn't move much and keep your eyes closed as much as possible for now."