Chapter Five: Hell-ven?

Peter sighs. "Well, yay! You've been hired here! But just be warned," I stare at him with a mix of self-concern and dumbfounded-ness.

"Miguel, spiderman, can be a pain in the A-S-S." He said, deciding to spell out the word because of his daughter. I giggled a little bit.

I decided to except whatever life just threw at me, partially because of my animalistic craving for action in my purposefully bland life.

"I've probably dealt with worse."

At that, they looked at each other.

"Just know he means well." Jess encouraged. "He's had a lot of losses, as all spider-men have, and it's made him somewhat a bit reluctant to getting close with anyone and to do anything much outside of work."
"...Yep! And that's why he needs a good doctor to heal him after he gets back from 'saving the multiverse'." Peter interjects.

"But.." I look at him confused, slightly faking ignorance. "I'm a historian."

He looks deep into my eyes. His eyes were a pleasant mix of brown and blue, which calmed me to the point of me feeling nervous about it. "Did you use your 'historian powers' to heal a cut, in minutes, that even my own healing technology could not?" He retorted. At this, I froze. I was just doing what I had practiced, hundreds of thousands of times in college, and had not realized that I had let a bit of my power slip out.

Who did I hurt?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's right, I was bitten by a radioactive spider when I was around 16. It gave me the title "spiderman", and the power to heal. At least that's what I had thought, naively. My power was to transfer the injuries of one person to another.

A couple days before I graduated from college, while I was webbing around the city, I found a gravely injured person. I decided to help them. They were a construction worker. A crowd had gathered around them. While they were working on a building, a bag of bricks fell on them. So, I lifted off the bricks, and began to heal them. It was usually a long process, so I started thinking about my sister.

Is she gonna be proud of me when I graduate? Is she even going to come to my graduation?

After I finished healing him, I headed back to my dorm, and quickly changed out of my suit. I went to sleep that night thinking I did a good deed. When I woke up, I did not think so.

I slid out of bed, a little groggy. Then, I heard my phone ring. It was a normal ring. Nothing special about it. Nothing hinting at the horrors about to come out of it.

I picked up the phone and heard my mother's voice. I wasn't really the closest with her anymore, so it was startling.

"Mom? What's wrong?" "I-it's your sister. Your father said she's in the hospital and she might not make it and-" "Mom, she'll probably be fine. She's been through a lot and you know dad likes to exaggerate. Don't worry."

I hung up and left to go to my morning classes that day. Only to be called out halfway through and told to go to the nearest hospital.

They said my sister's health was, actually, terrible.

Upon hearing that, a worry became a prayer in my heart.

I was going to get there and I was going to heal her. I needed to. But when I arrived, she wasn't there. Only her body was. With the same injuries the construction worker had. The witness, her boyfriend, had said that when he woke up, she already had those wounds. He had no idea how.

But I did.

I then graduated a day later.

I was pulled into a hole of guilt and grief alike, unable to do anything or even get out of bed.

Until I was literally pulled into a hole.

I was laying in my bed, and when I looked up, there was a blinding light pulling me toward it.

As soon I came to, I was in some type of futuristic city, with flying cars and all. I soon realized what this meant; I had been given a new beginning by someone or something. So, decided to throw away my past life and instead live here, to try to rid myself of my sin and grief.

Obviously, it didn't work, and I ended up working as a historian since I was living my life until then in a 'past' that was similar to theirs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I couldn't say any of this to Peter. Instead, I told him a lie I once believed. "You guessed it. There's no hiding it from you now. I have the power to heal." I say in a slightly mocking tone, while putting my hands up to signify my defeat. My sudden surrender made Jess suspicious, however Peter interrupted any thoughts she may have had. "See? I told you this g-" ... "-Celphius is amazing!" She sighs and smiles in response.

_____________________________________
A/N: a bit of a longer chapter 🤭🤭🤭